Used 2001 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escort Coupe

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (51 reviews )

Reliable Transportation
By Jim

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2001 and I could not be happier with this car. Never had any problems with this car. Just recently replaced my first set of brakes. 5 speed transmission moves this car quickly in traffic. I still own this car and will replace the timing belt to get another 75,000 miles out of it.

Engine has quick pickup and is great on gas.

Engine is noisy at highway speeds. Also the car in general is noisy, sound proofing would help but may hurt mileage.

Super Dependable Transportation
By JVZX2

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it was all I could afford at the time. After seven years I have only replaced the tires, a lightbulb and one door hinge (fixed free of charge). Even the brakes are still good. Unbelievably dependable. Bought it in California, drove to the desert the first week. The engine is loud above 75 mph but the mileage is unbelievable at 34 MPG. This car drove to Washington state and crossed the country, no problems. Around town it handles like a sports car with great pickup and excellent turning radius. Engine really cranks up to 5000 rpm and gets to 60 in no time. 5 speed standard transmission is very dependable and the clutch is still tight at 60,000 plus miles.

Dependability, pickup, great AC, transmission, fuel econonomy is incredible. I commute about 20 miles a day and fill up once every two and a half weeks. Fuel economy and dependability are the best features of this car. The stereo is pretty good overall.

Although it would affect the fuel economy, sound proofing; this car is loud. Also, the tires are an odd size and quite expensive. The stock Goodyears do not help the noise either. Better tires helped reduce the noise. The 6 CD changer is in the trunk and is a bit inconvenient to load.

Second Escort I've owned
By Nicole

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second Escort I've owned and if they still made them, I'd buy another. I average 30-35 mpg, once getting 38. And this car has been so reliable Always starts, although sometimes hesitantly if it's below zero. I have only done regular maintanence on it, no major repairs. I did have some minor tranny trouble that a flush and new fluid took care of.

Fuel economy, good trunk space, fold-down back seat.

Doesn't matter since they no longer make this model.

5 years later
By Used 2001

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 ZX2 in 2003 used for $9000. The tape player didn't work...still doesn't, but who uses tapes anyway? Radio is good, AC is super cold. It had 32,000 miles on it then, now has 75,000 and still runs great. Gas mileage is awesome, and I've had the serpentine belt replaced once. It has to be replaced again soon. Overall, this has been a great first car, it saw me through college and I'm going to keep it until it dies.

Gas mileage, manual transmission, fold- down rear seats

Sits a little low to the ground, trunk space could be bigger.

4 Transmissions in 5 Years?
By No More Ford.

2001 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about five years now and it's got 64,000 miles on it. I am on my FOURTH transmission (I've got a manual), and Ford isn't interested in hearing about it. While everything else about the car is fine, I am at the point where I may as well buy a new car since repair costs just about equal payments on a new car. At first the car was perfect, but now I don't trust it and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I'll admit I enjoy driving it. The design is good and it's roomy and comfortable enough.

Reliability. No matter how decent it may be otherwise, if it breaks down you won't be going anywhere in it.