Used 2001 Ford Escort ZX2 Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escort

ZX2 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (51 reviews )

Great First Car
By RDP

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car I bought while in college. I bought it with 95,000 miles, and I am almost at 200,000 miles. It has been very reliable, and I have only had to replace a fuel filter and alternator. The clutch and transmission seem to still be going strong. A lot of things are starting to need work, so I will probably be buying a new car. My only problem while owning this car has been the gas mileage. I only seem to get about 25 MPG.

Manual Transmission, Good Engine Performance, Reliable

They don't make this car anymore, so it doesn't matter.

01 ZX2
By Drifter

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 01, still going strong. The timing belt must be replaced around 115,000 or it may break. Replaced the alternator around 118,000. If you do regular upkeep as directed in the owners manual, it will keep going.

Gas mileage

better seats

Not so good for intense driving
By kevin

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have to drive a lot between places, and this car I bought in 06 with 70,000 miles for only $4,000. The first two years were good, up until 110,000 miles. Transmission needs work now, things keep braking on this car (leaks) unfortunately at this point, the upkeep is getting high I might as well buy a car. A/C blows weak, and my compressor won't make cold air now. I don't know how anyone gets 30 MPG on this. I usually get 350 Miles on a tank, and the tank is 13 gallons, so its 26 MPG for me. Good first car, rides a bit low for me, and dents easily.

It's good for passing other cars, good handling.

Better MPG, ride higher, and better suspension.

Nice ride
By mickeyg

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my ZX2 from my cousin last year, and it had over 155K miles. The only problem that I have had with it is the timing belt just broke on me. It's a little tight since i'm 6'4", but I still love it. Plus I can always find it in the parking lot since it's bright blue. This is also a great car to learn how to drive manual, it takes a beating and just keeps going.

STICK, now that I have one I love it. I also love the steering, I can put this car anywhere I want it.

Get the CD player outa the trunk.

2001 Ford ZX2 Lacks Comfort
By doddtw

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My number one complaint with this car is comfort. The shoulder room is very tight for an adult man. The seats are cheap. I feel like my bottom is 2 inches off the ground and I have the sensation of driving a GO Cart. When I exit the vehicle my knees feel like they're even with my ear lobes. The car has adequate pickup and reliability. I also see excessive vibration while in idle as experienced by another reviewer. Interior seems mainly cheap plastic. Lack of a center console to rest your elbox on is also annoying. This would be a adequate car for a small framed teenager but an average sized adult will not be happy with this car. I have basicly let this car sit in my driveway the last 5 years.

5 CD Changer, Tight Turning Radius, Good Gas Mileage

Fix vibration problem at Idle. Add center console. Stronger springs in seats.