Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Practical and Reliable
By Paul

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

This car is very reliable, easy to fix, and exceptionally roomy for a compact car. I routinely haul my two dogs, child in car seat, wife, and luggage with ease. I've also pulled a pretty heavy trailer 1000 miles with the car. My only criticisms are that the seats are horribly uncomfortable. The car has very little power, but it is so reliable and practical that it has been a great car. I have 191k on mine and it still is running fine.

Reliable engine, easy to fix, exceptionally roomy

No power, really uncomfortable seats.

Beautiful and fast
By seekbob

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This car is great looking and fun to drive with 25 to 30 mpg. I have had it for over 4 years. I have replaced front brakes and tires and one tie rod that is it. Best car I ever had.

Black and Beautiful
By turboDREAMS

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My Escort has almost 180k on it now and has never let me down. Ever. She sees high rpms on a daily basis because of how fun this ride is! 5spd is definitely the way to go and the response is outstanding. I thought escorts were grandma cars until i noticed civics trying to keep up! The handling is so smooth that i sometimes forget that I am in an Escort. All my friends look to the ground with rising gas prices as I enjoy the day no matter what with my easily captured 35mpg. Fuel economy is simply amazing in this car! If you want an affordable car that just won't leave you in the dust or stranded, and out runs half the hybrids in the mpg test, i can confidently say "go with the Escort!"

Handling, visibility, and throttle response.

More comfortable seats, sexier headlights, larger tachometer, and a redline that at least goes to 6500 rpms instead of the lonesome 5800 redline. Come on Ford, put the cards on the table!

Great
By HERB

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Drives and handles great. Looks great. Drove it to New Orleans and back last year with no problems at all. Didn't even have it checked out before I left, I have that much faith in it. Just routine maintenance, nothing more.

I like the way the manual transmission revs. Great looks. Never a problem with the cd changer or the roof.

None. If the rear seats were roomier it wouldn't look the same.

Best Little Car!
By Jen

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my car brand new, other than normal maintenence, I've had no problems, never been stranded. It's getting older and the seats aren't what they use to be, but old age will do that to you. I'm wondering how many miles my Black Beauty will see.178,000 and counting.

Great on gas! Inexpensive to maintain. Very reliable. Wish they still made them!

I cant think of any, its been great for the price!