Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

I love my car!
By syne

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and I purchased it with 83k miles on it. Five years later and we're up to 160k, and the timing belt just broke. But it's okay because my model has a non interference engine so it didn't do any other damage besides leaving me in a parking lot. I've done little to no maintenance in the last 80k miles and its been so good to me! I hope I can get this past 200k, and am planning on keeping it until it it dies. Fuel economy slowly shrinking, now its about 26mpg combined.

Auto windows, key-less entry, auto locks, cruise, non interference engine!!

Its pretty ugly, and the seats do get uncomfortable but only on 1k+ mile journeys. Spark plug wires rub on radiator belt which cause them to melt and malfunction; zip ties should fix this set (#3 in 2 years)

Going strong
By michigan91

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have always been a fan of Escorts and was excited to get one as my first car. It was purchased in July of 2006 with 79,000 miles and I'm almost to 91,000. When I bought the car the radio had stuff spilled in it so that was replaced. My check engine light gave me trouble for an idle speed thing, fixed and it idles very well. Other than that I blew one rusty trans line, the CEL is on again for the EGR valve (im ignoring it) and my blower motor just went, but other than the trans line which is expected in a winter climate, all my repairs have been cheap and have not been detrimental to the car in terms of running. Hasn't left me stranded, and we're almost to 91,000 miles.

Reliable, radio panel is actually very ergonomic, predictable handling, timeless looks, cheap parts, throaty 4 cylinder, ful economy (about 25 in the city).

Better seats (they have no side support) a little bit more pick up (passing can be a pain), and fuel economy (25 is good but I'm hearing much better than that on here.)

99 Ford ZX2 5 speed
By Randy

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Purchased with 89K and so far it has been a steal. Fun to drive, very peppy and handles nicely. Have the primo sound 6 disc changer and it sounds great. Gas mileage mostly highway is 29mpg. (moderate driving speeds/acceleration)

Sun roof and 6 disc cd. Geared for someone who likes to drive.

Engine is noisy. Long trips not the best as the seat comfort up front is not the best. Red paint faded slightly.

Reliable little car
By Kevin

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car way back in 2000 and it has never ever left me stranded. Looks nice, has good interior room for the driver and front seat passenger. No big repairs, just the usual cost of ownership stuff. The 5 speed is actually quite sprightly, and takes off very fast from a stop. Handling is very nice, I've driven it in some of the most cornersome roads in the Oregon mountains and coast and its been great. Even had this baby on dirt roads/forste roads. Tough as nails. Its got 208,000 miles now and still starts every day. Pity Ford no longer makes these or I would buy another.

5 speed manual works nicely with the 2.0 engine. Good trunk space for such a small car. Doesn't feel small inside. Reliable and great gas mileage.

It's pretty hard to replace simple stuff like the front indicator bulbs and headlights do fog up. Could use another 10-20 hp. That would make it a perfect small car.

Better than my new Corolla
By Import Driver

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I've always driven Hondas and Toyotas, but my 99 Escort SE Sport married into the family. When we had our first kid, I sold my Honda Del Sol, and bought a new Corolla. My wife got the new car and I got "stuck" with the Escort. It's been a phenominal car. It still drives like new after 100k (I know thats not much compared to other reviews), and I've never had any mechanical problems. It handles great, has good pick up, and I get pretty good gas mileage. All in all, I really prefer driving it to the new (2006) Corolla.

Great handling, good gas mileage, and very reliable

I would have upgraded the stereo and added a CD if it wasn't for the strange stereo/air faceplate. It was a strange Ford design when everything was contoured and oval.