Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Starting to Show Signs of Wear...
By scottyvillage

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I keep getting check engine soon light.
The transmission is burning fluid and I have to flush the transmission fluid out every 4-6 weeks and then the light comes on again.
I received a quote from a transmission place in Hayward, CA for a rebuilt transmission for $1600. Another place quoted me $1700 for a used transmission. The car still runs okay, but I keep putting in about $100 every month for flushing the transmission fluid. I've had a fairly good run with this car, and it's time to get a newer vehicle and I plan to keep the Escort as a backup. Still, car needs some work, though. Car has Automatic Transmission and not 5-Speed Manual as indicated when I selected the model.

still runs good
By draculara_0427

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I brought a 1999 ford escort with 125000 something miles on it. (don't remember the exact mileage) but I've had it for 2 years now I haven't had any major problems just replaced the starter. Monthly service like oil changes and tune up stuff like that other than that still a good running car.
It has about 144000 miles on it and its been a good little family car. Still gets me where I need to go.
I say it would be a great car for a high school student or college student. Planning to purchase another vehicle soon and i will keep this one.

Great First Car
By tkhan86

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car, bought it at 40K miles for about $3K. Best purchase I've ever made to date. My father regularly changed the oil and we took it for regular check-ups. Had to replace the alternator once, and had to replace the breaks & heater at about 100K miles (this was probably more due to the fact that when I was younger, I was a bit excessive with my acceleration and subsequent breaking). Aside from those two things (and the occasional windshield blade needing to be replaced), this car has been incredible.

I ran it pretty hard (to and from Virginia for four years) and I think it has lived a VERY full life. I'll miss my ford.

For a 4 cylinder (and a personality in need of speed), it has been good enough for the past 6 years. I tell people that I "zip around town" in my little '99 red ford escort. The pick-up is surprising. Not to mention it's small enough to fit in compact car parking spots!

Forget this ambassador of Ford junk
By elly2

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

When it was new it was problem free but after a few years and miles even with good maintenance and light driving the problems start showing up.
I now expect major work on an annual basis.
No doubt the CCRM failed on the A/c which is common to this model, rear springs snapped which is also common, engine pipe fell off, speedometer meter in the axle broke, and even the shift console light doesn't work, and now some kind of power sapping engine problem.
Driving this car is zero fun and all hassle.

Nobody is going to rifle through it if you forget to lock the doors.

I'd say stop making it but Ford already figured that out.

Very good car
By eskimopride

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

i bought the car for 1200 and i only had to replace the altinator at round 95k its been replaced once before that. Its a sporty little coupe. The seats are comfortable for a 2.4 hour drive. I was surpirsed how much room there was in the back seat im 5;11 and i can have the seat where i would drive and still have a little room not much but better then the cavalier

the manual, peppyness of the engine

more cubby holes, and shudve been more of a coupe interior like the probe