Used 1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

LOVE IT
By elizabeth

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, got it when I was 16 I'm almost 19 now. When my mom gave it to me it had 150,000 miles. Now it has 215,700. Its been totaled twice. Been involved in a few more little wrecks. I've backed into 4 cars (hasn't messed up either car either time) the timing belt broke on it. Thought the motor was gone, but it wasn't. I tore the front end up and the hole drivers side door up by hitting a fence. It chirps wheels in second gear. I couldn't have asked for a better first car. Gas mileage. Filled it up today for 28$ itll run 300 miles a tank. My kids will probably be driving this car. I have a spare exact same car (but it has a sunroof) with 140,000 on it when the motor blows in this one.

6 disk cd changer, cute look, easy gas mileage, drives easy, can hold up well in wrecks, the junk yards sell parts for it everyday. insurance not high. cute colors. great first car for anyone. oh its quick too.

Beautiful and fast
By seekbob

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This car is great looking and fun to drive with 25 to 30 mpg. I have had it for over 4 years. I have replaced front brakes and tires and one tie rod that is it. Best car I ever had.

Great
By HERB

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Drives and handles great. Looks great. Drove it to New Orleans and back last year with no problems at all. Didn't even have it checked out before I left, I have that much faith in it. Just routine maintenance, nothing more.

I like the way the manual transmission revs. Great looks. Never a problem with the cd changer or the roof.

None. If the rear seats were roomier it wouldn't look the same.

Ford Failure
By 1REDZX2

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Bought this for my daughter for features, price and CU rating. Noisiest engine,sounds like a diesel, replaced both driveshafts before 60k, now at 85k one is failing again. Both ABS wheels cracked prior to 60K. Odd sized tires that you'll pay a premium for. At least it still looks good

CD changer, exterior design.

Better mechanicals. America can do better.

Great car
By Mr. Burger

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have put 194,000 miles on so far and have had no maintenance issues thus far. Change the oil every 3,500, that's it. Am still averaging 35.4 MPG. This has been a great can and expect to get 300,000 miles out of it easy.