Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

fordtovw
By Joe

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Got the car as a gift from my grandfather for my first car. Had 115k on it. Now has 123k and is sitting in my driveway. I loved it when I first got it... But it started to deteriorate substantially after a rough new england winter. Traction is terrible, but never killed me. Always idled very rough, car shakes when not moving. Rusts out cery bad. Tranny started to shift hard, throwing code for tranny failure. Got rid of it for an '05 jetta, Love it much more. All in all, not a bad choice for a first car/cheap transportation

reliable vehicle
By john

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Great car !!!
By andy908

1999 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This is a very good car. With the low price and age, it still runs like a beast. I bought it for $1500 about 6 months ago, runs great. The handling is great, maneuvering is easy, and drives smooth. Mileage is great. I drive about 25 miles a day, have to fill it up every two weeks!!!, about $70/month I use for gas.

The red color sure makes it look sporty! In my opinion its a good looking car (contrary to what other people are saying). Make sure to maintain it well regularly. Aged cars need regular care. The only downside I can think of is its acceleration. Acceleration is not so quick or smooth as other newer cars.

Handling, Control, Safety, Maneuvering, Gas Mileage, Reliability. Good for regular commute.

Acceleration

1999 Ford Escort Sedan SE
By zescown

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My car is actually an automatic transmission. I bought it for 1,500 used and it had around 164,000 miles on it with new brakes. It's my first car that I bought and is mine. It's small and has good mobility. It's really good on gas. My dads Chevy Tahoe has a 20 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week while my car has a 10 gallon tank and needs to be filled once a week but this is an estimate from experience. It depends on how much you drive. It's fun drifting around in the winter time using the E-Brake. It also has a spoiler which I like. I read on the wheels that it can hold a max weight of 1,100 something pounds.

High miles per gallon. Reliable transportation. Front seats can angle super far back that you can practically sleep in the car.

Would be nice if there was an arm rest on the right side of the drivers seat. Would also be good if there was more cup holders for the back seats. It would be really nice to have a bigger gas tank so I don't need to fill it up once a week or two meaning I would fill it up once every 2 to 3 weeks. It also has a cassette player which I don't have any and in today's days there are CD players which would be nice on the car.

Great Car!
By yaknow

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My familly has owned a ford escort sport zx2 from 1999 to now. of the course of its life a huge tree has fell on it and still it runs. however some of the accessories arent doing so well, cd changer and cassette tape doesnt function perhaps because the wiring is faulty after being repaired from the tree.
It is now my first car and it is great. i love how it rides. i usually dont like carpeted interior but this car wouldn be what it is if it didnt have the carpeted interior.
I encourage everyone to buy it unless you are like 6 feet tall cause it has a low roof.

CD changer (when it worked) Carpeted interior