Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Excellent Commuter Car
By scortracer

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Just got this car not too long ago but it has been in the family for about 3 years. I don't really have to do anything with it besides change the fluids and get new brakes ... just normal wear and tear. The car has about 78K on it and I expect another 100K more at least. The tranny sometimes shifts rough and it idles shaky but I heard those are normal Escort traits. It gets great gas mileage and is quite comfortable to ride in and also handles a lot better than most other small cars. I had a 96 Escort and this generation seems worlds better. I don't know why people are running out and getting Japanese cars, I'd take my little 'Scort over a Corolla or Civic any day. The build quality is great.

Keyless entry, power everything, great MPG, peppy & reliable little motor. Fairly roomy for its size. Better build quality than my 96 or my grandparents 02 Cavalier.

Mostly just minor. Needs a tilt wheel. Stupid ICP makes it difficult to install an aftermarket CD player. You should be able to get the ZX2's 130hp DOHC 2.0. An antenna built into the A-pillar.

The Little Car that Could...
By Hbgguppy

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I bought my Escort in a pinch. I had just bought my first house and very quickly realized the expenses of home ownership. I traded in my Ford Expedition and bought my Escort, cutting my car payment in half. Having owned SUVs for years and years, I wanted another "full cabin on frame" vehicle. Nothing car be more frustrating than trying to wedge a book shelf in the back of a sedan in the IKEA parking lot. I soon fell in love with the "little car that could". 4 years later and I'm still attached to "Fred" as he's now known. I particularly enjoy the visibility while parallel parking and making fast lane changes during rush hour traffic. He's been a darn good car to me.

My favorite features are definitely my power windows, locks, mirrors and my keyless entry. It was a real joy to find a little car with all of those features.

The one thing I wish my Escort had was an additional dome light in the cargo area. It can be very, very dark back there when I'm trying to find something back there in a dark parking lot.

My Ford
By Blair

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car that I bought. I really like it but seem to always have a problem with it. It has always gotten me from here to there.

I would have to say the seats are really comfortable and the trunk has a whole lot of space. I can fit everything I need to take and still have room left over.

My gas mileage isn't that great but I'm sure I can fix that; oh and suspension turning -- something's funny with that.

Mediocrity at its best
By Kuri

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Bought my '99 Escort with 24k on it, thinking it was a good buy. Less than a month later I had bad vibrations in the car during idle. Had to rip out and replace the motor mounts, a problem that I've read other people having online. Horrible console design, cup holders won't hold anything bigger than a 20 ounce cup. Bad acceleration and I'm already having transmission problems thanks to it. For some reason gas mileage plummets with city driving from 30-35 mpg to about 25 or so. I like small cars so this is actually a bit big for me; I'd have preferred a ZX2 if anything. Back seat has no room for comfort. My issues with the exterior looks were solved with a body kit. Speakers didn't even survive 2 months.

The only parts I like on this car didn't come on it. The most reliable car I've ever owned, but that definitely isn't saying much.

The gas mileage shouldn't drop that much from city to highway. Motor mounts seem to be a reoccurring problem with this car; look for bad vibrations in the console and steering wheel. Horrid acceleration, I've been out sped by minivans.

So far, so good!
By Dover ZX2

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

Sporty, quick car that's fun to drive! I bought my ZX2 with 30,000 miles in 2001 for $8K. I have put 90,000 more miles on it in 4 years. This car gets great gas mileage on the highway… my best was 39 mpg. Some gripes: tends to drift on concrete pavement. Engine is loud over 70 mph. I agree with a few reviewers, this car has a mind of its own. My cruise control will stop working randomly. The horn went off by itself … I had to pull the fuse! I bought an extended warranty which was a great investment … it covered the cost of replacing the entire AC system, alternator, radio/cassette, tie rod, and horn.

Sunroof and great gas mileage (30-37mpg!). 60/40 split seats and tons of truck space. Pretty good in the snow.

Tighter interior (too much noise); more comfortable seats; more room in the back seat.