Used 1999 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Not bad
By Felicia

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Escort from a couple who wanted a newer car. It had high miles for the year, but didn't look bad at all. I've had Escorts and other Fords before and this car has been the best one for me to drive. Body looks good, inside fits 1 adult, 2 kids and a big dog pretty good. I had a few problems with it, such as the brakes, and now I'm told something is broken in the engine, but that little car still moves. Has always been good on gas, and the only time it left me stranded was when I got a dead battery. I drove this car hard. I live in a hilly region and I tend to lay on the gas. The tranny is good, it's just that some mounting thing in the engine is broke, so the car can take a beating.

Good on gas, big enough for family of 4, pretty good speakers too.

Light for shifter.

She runs like a champ, no matter what
By Maleficus

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased my used ZX2 about 2 years ago, with 58,000 miles on the clock. Since then, she's only let me down once, and that was because I hadn't performed a regular maintenance item. The timing belt slipped so it wouldn't run, took it to a shop who didn't know what they were doing and they told me my cold air intake and header were why she wouldn't idle (at ALL). Well, they were wrong, the timing was still off. For a year, she's been running with bad timing and she runs like a champ, well, to a certain degree. As soon as I fix the timing (myself!), I'm positive she'll be back to her old zippy, fun self. Please, please buy one of these cars, you won't regret it.

First and foremost, it's a Ford. She's zippy and fun to drive, plus just about bullet-proof.

Automatic transmission is very weak.

reliable ride but not fun to drive
By dem4life

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Overall it has been a good, sturdy car. It rides very smoothly and has great visibility. Excellent turning radius and not bulky to drive. A few things to consider before you buy is that it is not made for a small person. The seats don't adjust higher and sit very low. Even with the steering wheel tilted as far down as possible I still feel like the air bag will explode in my face. It is very sluggish to accelerate. In the dark it is almost impossible to find where to put it in drive without putting the ceiling light on. Also, you can't get a CD player for less than $250 due to the integration of the radio and the other controls.

Keyless entry, power windows and locks, smooth and quiet ride, very reliable, great AC.

More acceleration! Adjustable seats, light up gears, easier to install CD player.

Found On Road Dead
By JBL

1999 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

From the beginning - TROUBLE! Strange noises and lots of vibration. Transmission always a concern - dealer said everything ok (while under warranty). Repeated Check Engine Lights - sensor replacements and $$$ Cassette player went out. Hood latch broke, nickel and diming me to death. Lot of brake problems. The latest found on road test diagnosis - major valve & seat damage, went through and damage the piston, block, and cylinder head - needs new engine at $4,000. Dealer maintenance shop keeps telling me there are never any trouble with Escorts. Yeah, right.

Too hard to see past all the problems.

I will NEVER buy another FORD. Both I've had were terribly unreliable cars. Dealer maintenance shop (which keeps changing names and perhaps ownership) has been very unresponsive to the chronic issues with this car. (Fix that Mr. Ford!).

Nice first car
By Paco

1999 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I love this car. It is good and economical and very reliable when it is well taken care of. Good car for single people or students.

Five speed, air conditioning, small in traffic and fast.

Control cruise for the road.