Used 1998 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

High milage, still goes and goes!
By randomramblings85

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I thought my ZX2 about 4 months ago, with over 300,000 miles on it. I am amazed at how very minimal upkeep it needs for the age and mileage. It does have a fuel pump issue which I will soon be able to get fixed reasonably cost efficiently. I hope to have this vehicle for as long as it's willing.

Sporty and Peppy for its class!
By Raymon

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've had my ZX2 2.0 LT sport for 3 yrs in S.CA. Good mileage on (expensive) Regular Gas. I get around 300 miles a tankfull. It has 121,500 miles (I've put on 18,000)! Head gasket, timing belt, thermostat were replaced before I bought it. I'm my time with it the pulley broke off, and did a pin ball job in the engine compartment. I replaced the p steering hose, the water pump, belt and the pulley : Radio/CD player, tires and tune up too. It passed the trucks on the freeway under 42 rpm even up hill! Good acceleration for merging. Hugs road well. I love the Fog lights. A.C. Hosing seals needs replacement. Great Heater. Front Seat belts mount too far back, hard to reach. Auto Trans is ok. Car makes skweeling sound when at low speeds (off and on). Has road noise. My dog does not like it...oddly. Looks good and behaves. Easy to drive and park. I would have liked a moonroof. Don't use washer fluid with window open! Thinking of driving it back to South Jersey this summer. I would recommend owning one! Funny my first car was a '68 Falcon. I've come full circle. Basic Car and worth it.

Fantastic City Car
By jhs7

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've driven this car for the past 11 years and have had very few problems with it.
It has enough power to be fun to drive, and to get you around slow trucks when you need to, while still getting good gas mileage.

The best thing about it, though, is the amazing amount of cargo space for an economy coupe.
Between the surprisingly roomy trunk, and the fold-down seats, you can actually haul quite a lot of stuff.
I am regularly surprised at how much I can stuff into such a small car.

On top of that, it's one of the best-looking cars in its class, (IMHO), it turns on a dime, and it fits in almost any parking space. The only thing it doesn't do well is snow. But then, what little car does?

Big trunk and large opening to the trunk (for its class). Tight turning radius. Cool-looking headlights.

Gear shift can be a bit persnickety. Also, the electrical outlet shuts off when you turn off the car, which can be annoying at times.

LIKE THE ENERGIZER!!! IT JUST KEEPS GOIN AN GOIN!!
By mmfm

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Ive had my 98 zx2 forever. She never lets me down. Im the third owner. The guy b 4 me literally drove the wheels off of it. didnt change the oil for 3 years over 41000 miles. when i got it did a tune up an a oil change.I only run the best. 93 octane ngk11 plugs an 8mm wires. castrol sytec fully sythetic. has 336,588 miles on it right now. still rips. took it to quaker drag strip ran a 15.3 at 91mph. bone stock. blew quite a few doors off it its time an will continue til it dyes on me. Its a fact if u take care of ur car ur car will take care of u. i have replace everthing on it once or maybe twice but i definatly got my moneys worth !!!!!5 STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE 5 SPEED TRANNY IS FLAWLESS...That car has surprized many people in its time.. ive made quite a few people mad.. cause they got beat by an escort.. I know id hate to lose to one. I also like the interior. pretty comphy for a guy my size. im 5/11 225lbs an its not hard on the back an i got plenty of room.

if they had to change somethin id say have to b the wheels. im not real keane of the front bumper either but they work an get the job done... 5STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zx2
By mike

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I have owned this little car since I purchased it new in 1998. It has been a fun and economical. I have never had issues until the car reached over 200k. Then things started to break, typical stuff alternator, rear wheel cylinders, struts, just recently the fuel pump. The a/c works some times. Heck what do expect from a car with nearly 300k

fuel economy my average has been 32-33 mpg

none they quite making this vehicle