Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Very trusty, reliable car
By artbkward

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven my 98 Escort since I turned 16 (8 years ago), it has never required any more than routine repair. It's got 147,000 miles on it now and still has alot of life left in it. Gets good fuel mileage although does have small spot of rust on the door. I added a CD player since it came with AM/FM radio only. It's been a great little car for me, I would highly recommend.

Roomy interior despite small size, reliablity, fuel mileage,

Cup holder doesn't fit large drink while car is in park. Rear cup holder isn't deep enough: drink spills when going around turns. CD player should be standard. Rear defrost.

Sturdy, Strong, Roomy, Great
By Andrew

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car two years ago and although had some mainenence done on it, it has not let me down once. I changed the timing belt, water pump and an O2 sensor. Engine at 143k going strong, with a lot of life left in it. An air filter was missing and a bug got caugth in the idle air flow solenoid. I drove from Grand Canyon to Las Vegas with idle at 4000 rpm. Engine is still going strong without a problem. These ZTEC engines are fantastic. Team Ford at Las Vegas did rip me off with a 1000 dollars to change the solenoid! Never go to the dealers! This car is fun to drive, I hauled our whole house with it, big cargo, nice space in the trunk. Very fun to drive the manual!

Drivability, 35 MPG at 75 mph highway speeds, sound system, reliability, sporty looks, the whole packet. Job well done, you could still make this model.

Internal trunk release! Everything else is as should be for a car this size!

Reliable!
By Diane

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

I have 190K miles on this car and it is still going strong! It serves its purpose, but now I am feeling that it may be on its last leg (the gas mileage is lowering and it struggles a little to get up certain hills), but I haven't had any major breakdowns or work done to it - just a timing belt and the e-brake chain. Brakes are worn easily, but I stop and go a lot. A fine little car that does a decent job.

There is no one outstanding feature - - it is just that everything is good, and there hasn't been any big problems. The reliability of this car is the best feature I guess. 3 cup holders!

Can't open the trunk when the car is running (maybe it is safer though, that it doesn't). Can't use cigarette lighter plug thing while using one cup holder. Also, position of steering wheel in relation to seat is a little awkward - no tilt wheel. Seems like wheel is too far away.

Great Car
By claus

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in '02 with 29000 miles on it. It now has 106000 and I have had to replace the water pump, timing belt, tie rods 3x, serpentine belt a few times and the ac is out on it right now, but other than that it has been a reliable car to get me through college. Excellent gas mileage and sound system.

The zippiness of it, sporty look, and gas mileage.

Inside trunk release, passenger keyless entry, more horsepower.

No more Fords!
By Frank

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Had an 87 Escort wagon made in New Jersey, got good basic A-to-B transportation & made it to 250,000 mi. So I got this newer 1998 replacement but only made it to 150,000 & had to junk it. Was made in Mexico & had many poor quality problems (rust, bad dash & dome lights, replaced P/S, etc & finally internal engine damage). Have had other Fords before & know they're generally lesser quality than other brands, but this was worst experience. Now I'm an angry ex-Ford customer.

Cheap to buy. Gas mileage 27 to 30 MPG. Interior space of wagon model