Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Original satisfied owner.
By Joe

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

98 SE Wagon. This has been a good economical vehicle. Simple interior design. 24 to 34 mpg. Scheduled maintenance routines were followed for normal usage. Fair to good handling in moderate snow conditions. Final assembly, U.S.A. (I purposely avoided the non-U.S.A. assemblies). Original tires, Uniroyal Tiger Paw, lasted 70K. OEM battery, 8 yrs. Uncomfortable seating on long drives.

Reliable & economical. Good exterior & interior apearance. No warranty issues. Competitive & reasonable cost.

Improve finish at weld points on roof area above rear doors. Rear suspension springs failed (broken at top ends) at about 25K (3+yrs.). Engine noise at hwy. speeds. Engine oil & filter change is more inconvenient if done by owner. Constant contol relay assy.& fuel pump assembly failed at 88k/10 yrs.

I love this car
By chris

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 165k on it in jan of 08. It now has 200k on it. I have replaced the wheel bearings, the serpentine belt, and tires. It is by far the cheapest and most reliable car I have ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone. I'm kinda upset they stopped making them. When or if this one dies I will be buying another one.

I own the 5 speed. I love the performance. i Put a lot of bolt on parts and for what it is it's pretty fast. And I love the gas mileage. I consistantly get low 40's. Easily keeps up with a stock Honda v-tech.

Larger interior. Maybe make it a 6 speed transmission. It runs at a kinda high rpm at 60 mph.

1998 ZX2 Escort
By 87irocZ28camaro

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

The Escort isn't the best car but for the price come on. It never had trouble only needed a new pair of cheap tires and some cheap brakes and that was right before I sold it. It's a great car. Family look but great performance. Get one if you want a reliable cheap sport car.

Performance, spoiler, traction, miles, and mpg.

Interior, rims, cargo area

My First Car
By Dre

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I just resently got a 98 Ford Escort LX as my first car. When I first saw it I wasn't very happy with it. It just didn't look quite right. Now that I have it I really like it. My Escort only has 74,950 miles on it! Not bad for a 98.

I really like the power windows, locks, and mirrors. The front is very roomy and even the back too, and I am 5'10".

A inside trunk release would be nice and a standard CD player.

It Could Be Worse (but not much)
By Justin

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

Do not get this car if you enjoy driving or like cars even a little bit. You'll be dissapointed with the performance, handling and just about everything. Fuel economy is great as long as you don't touch the gas and don't look at the A/C. I don't think the designers even knew what fun-to-drive meant. Interior is basic. Not even a tach or cd player. If you stare at the exterior long enough it starts to look alright. It's only broken down on me once because of a bad alternator but there are a few parts that have needed replacing in the two years I've had it. (Motor mounts twice and A/C.) The trunk leaks on the right too. Summary: If you're old or don't like cars, the Escort is for you.

The only things I like about the car are the few things I've done to it. The sound system, intake and wheels. And it was free from the grandparents.Obviously I wouldn't have bought the car.

Where do I start? Power, handling, cd player, more MPGs when using the A/C or the gas pedal the slightest bit, and a tachometer even though it's an automatic.