Used 1998 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort Coupe

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Good looking,reliable, gets the job done
By Drive it to the bone

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I got this car after high school graduation and had it throughout college. My dad used it to drive pretty far to work everyday while I was away, and this whole time nothing bad has gone wrong. Besides the usual wear and tear, the worst thing that happened was the horror that was installing my CD deck over the old trim. I would change some small things, but overall, its a fun, reliable and good looking vehicle considering some factors.

Style, reliability, fog lights.

Trunk release from the inside, passenger side unlock from the remote, push seat release for the back passengers to get out (currently we have to get out, pull the seat forward, and pull up the release to let them out). My accelerator stuck once but it never happened again.

Not a fan of the look, LOVE the rest
By MikeMG

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car last September. I was originally looking for a ZX3 but this one was CHEAP. I test drove it and bought it the same day. The performance is unbelievable for a stock car, if only the aesthetics could be comparable. If you're young and want a tough, quick car, then this is it. I can't seem to break it, which is hard to believe. Parts are cheap too ($25 Cdn for a wheel bearing). Service it regularly and this car will last forever.. And if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads, undercoat it every year.

Performance. Amazingly comfortable for long drives. Pretty quiet at highway speeds.

No power passenger's door lock is ridiculous. Dash is very plain, but oh well. When windy out, wind noise around windows is very annoying.

Fixed Or Repaired Daily
By Steffidips

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This car was great for the first four years of existence, but soon began developing small problems here and there. Those small problems have now developed into large problems with the transmission, the flex plate in the shifter and the fact that I get a back massage each time it is at idle because the idle is so rough. Despite these problems, the car can still handle well through corners and can keep up with some of the most moderately priced vehicles. Great car for a new driver.

Dashboard and controls are easy to locate and use. Handles great. Comfortable car for short road trips (200 miles and under) with amazing gas mileage (approximately 25 city/30 highway). Was the perfect first car for a female driver!

Headlights could be improved with the addition of fog lights (some models do have these, but not mine) as well as higher wattage in the high beams.

Excellent economical car!
By carbunny

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

This is an excellent car if you want
an inexpensive car and don't car much
about extras. This was my first car.
I have had it for 6 years, have 50,000
miles on it and nothing on it has EVER
broken. It is a "bare minimum"
car...no casette player, no cd player,
no power windows, etc. But...if what
you are looking for is low price and
good performance this is the car.

Driver's side remote keyless entry...no other power lock, windows though. Also, extremely reliable. Never needed any major repairs.

More options...CD player, power windows, etc.

I love my ZX2
By BonBon

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

My car is great. Good gas mileage,
reliable, small (but not too small!),
sporty....Ford did a great job.

I like the fog lamps, wheels, and it's a 5-speed manual transmission. It's hard for stick lovers to find good stick shift cars anymore!

I would have liked a trunk release on the inside of my car.