Used 1998 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort Coupe

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

158,000 miles so far
By 158,000miles so far

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Great car! My wife and I have been driving this one for a few years now. Bought it at 70,000 miles and have driven it nearly trouble free to 158,000 miles presently. I have no complaints about this car. Here are the few small repairs. Water pump replacement, some small A/C module to restore normal ac function, serpentine belt of course, radiator leaked a little when it was real cold outside, I finally replaced it after watching it drip during startup for two winters and a small water leak in the cab and trunk. Lastly, emergency brake cables are sticking some, the rubber is breaking on them and the weather has gotten to them. This is normal STUFF. THIS CAR IS GREAT! I used to be a mechanic.

Reliable as they come. The five speed still doesn't need a new clutch at 158,000 miles!

I'm satisfied.

Highly Recommended!
By Meg022

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I really love this car--it's the second one I have owned (totaled the first one). It has great pickup considering it's a 4-cyl. The exterior design is fabulous! (I have the 2-dr coupe with spoiler on the back). I love looking at it, even after all these years! Bought both of my ZX2s used, and had minimal repair...until I hit the 90K mark. Then, every inspection has been a $500+ ordeal, but had no emergency repairs. I had to replace the E-brake cable, the thermostat, needed to add freon for A/C, replaced the CAM shaft, and one of the control arms, etc. over a period of about two years. It does get a little uncomfortable for long trips--the interior is small, and the seats are FIRM.

Exterior styling is great--so sporty!, tight handling, keyless entry, overall size, good sound system. Reliable car!

Interior trunk release is needed! Drives me nuts to have to turn the car off to get in the trunk. Car vibrates excessively at idle, not too bad in snow/rain, but not great either. Transmission seems to shift oddly--may be due to high mileage. At 105K, time to think about trading it in.

Amazx2ing
By mike1975nj

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car used in 9/03 from a private party. I have all original receipts from this car since new including the window sticker. I lucked out big time. I have a 1998 5 speed and at the time I didn't want red nor did I want a Ford. After three years of owning this car I must say it is without a doubt mint. I love everything about this car except the fact that Ford canceled it and replaced it with junk. I must say that I am so happy that I got a stick rather than the automatic which is terrible and boring in this car. This is not a sport or racing car rather a sporty little economical car that if treated right with go head to head with any Toyota, Honda, or Madza (lol). Amazing!

Handling turns, fog lights, moonroof, reliability, the heat/ ac, park it anywhere, gas mileage.

Continue making them, trunk cd player, braking system, interior.

Good car for young drivers
By cpa0217

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought for teenage driver. She has been driving it for 5 years. Other than some "wear & tear" items & maintenance, this has been a very trouble-free car.

Looks cool - important to young drivers! VERY reliable - important to parents!

More leg room in back would be nice.

awesome little car
By jldude

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought this car 7 months ago, haven't had a problem since, never had to replace anything, sure there are worn out mounts and all, but it's typical. Does 0-60 in 7.8! Cannot say enough good things about the fuel economy. I get 42 mpg on flat highway at 65, and 36 aggressive city mpg. Biggest complaint, the vibration and noise. Tires and/or suspension seem to amplify road noise, engine runs at 2900 rpm at 65 which can get annoying. And wheel hop when accelerating at traction limits is ridiculous. But it has a large comfortable back seat and a very inexpensive car to own. Great little car, wish Ford still made it with a Mazda suspension, Zetec engine, 6 speed and standard power EVERYTHING! Oh and yellow!

FUEL ECONOMY, acceleration, handling, reliability.

Much higher overdrive, liquid filled mounts, 17" wheels, Mazda interior quality, 4 wheel disc brakes, standard power everything, factory high power sound, no speed limiter lol! And of course, to still be in production.