Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

A sleeper
By ford escort wagon

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

Bought Ford wagon 2002 used with 48,000k miles drove it to 155,200k doing courier deliveries gave it to my daughter she drove it for 3 years, then she gave it to grand daughter for college later she gave it to younger sister then the care was sold in 2008 with 243,000, this car is still running only routine maintenance tires brakes timing belts tune ups

great american car

none

This car is solid
By Heathro21

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

She is at 109,000 kms - just change the oil every 3K kms - only have had to change out the tie rods - that is it. I was going to buy a new car, but I don't have any need to. Great little car.

Horrible Car
By Will

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

This car is the most "Gutless" piece of machinery I have ever encountered. My dog can accelerate faster than this car. We have been stricken with repair after repair. Now the entire exhaust system is shot and needs replacement.

None!

Never build this car again!!

This car won't die
By kennedys

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I put about 500 miles a week on this car on my daily commute to work. I have been waiting for it to die since I graduated college and got my long distance job. I have never broken down in it yet. So far since I took it over I have only had to replace tires and the tape deck/Radio which I was going to do anyway. One year I didn't even change the oil from inspection to inspection and it still ran like a champ. I wish I had a reason to get a new car but it is so reliable even at 130K. Who ever said foreign cars are more reliable than domestic really needs to check the date it isn't the 80's anymore.

Gas mileage, acceleration, easy to maintain engine and cheap replacement parts.

Resale value but honestly anyone buying an escort and expecting a resale value is kidding themselves. Better seats and better wiper fluid system. Word of advice don't blast the wiper fluid with the windows down or you will get covered in wiper fluid.

realibility plus
By monty

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

i purchased this auto from my employer 6 years ago with 74k on it. i now have 140k. i get 25mpg around town and 35mpg highway.the timing belt broke at 110k. did not cause any engine damage as with many autos. purchasd new belt for $20 at auto parts store.alternator went this year,very easy to replace. ($45used with 1 year warrenty)as with most drivers i would like a newer auto but the escorts reliability and very reasionable replacement parts cost will have me driving it for a few more years.

realibility and gas mileage and low cost maintenance.

maybe a little more horesepower but not at the sacrifice of gas mileage