Used 1998 Ford Escort Coupe Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort Coupe

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Can't be killed
By jaxson

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

This car is ridiculous. Got this in 11/01 used from some dude who wanted a car with cruise control. Had 56K miles on it, almost 8 years later I have 143K on it. No problems at all with this thing. Runs as smooth as it did the day i took it over. Oil is always clean, probably dont even have to get an oil change every 5k miles. I still have to replace the timing belt. The tie rods had to be occasionally replaced every now and then. But thats it. I wish this thing would die already so I can feel justifed to get a new car already!

Peppyness, quick off the draw.

Good for 6 years only
By DarthSodomus

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I purchased this as my first car way back on Halloween 1998. This car was very good to me for the first 6.5 years. I did all the required maintainance. Then the transmission went after 110K miles - expensive repair. After repairing that, the engine went 2 years later - expensive repair. I have had to replace the alternator twice as well replace the water pump and some drive pulleys all expensive repairs. Finally, just now, the AC compressor went and had to install an aftermarket AC delete pulley. I've gotten 11 years so far out of it but the repairs have been expensive over the last 4 years ~$8000. But (unfortunately) still cheaper than new car payments so I could not justify a new car

Nice acceleration. Good handling. Lots of features for price. As for reliability go buy a Honda civic instead. A CON is no resalve value. The car is now worthless.

Increase the reliability. Now I'm waiting for a cash for clunkers bill in canada to replace it with a civic. If the Canadian government gives me $3500 for a $500 car I'm gonna laugh all the way to the Honda dealership to get a civic. Buy honda for resale value.

1998 ZX 2 cool coupe
By Mike

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 91K it now has 170K just replaced timming belt, water pump, regular belts and pulleys, still has original clutch (5 speed) and some of the vacume lines are starting to crack but it is a very reliable car . Parts are cheap and avalible. down fall is it is a very hard car to work on as it is very tight in the engine compartment. All above work was done as preventive maintenace not corrective. This car also wears tires a little funny and somtimes you will get a woomp woomp woomp from the under carrage as the tires wear though that phase of wear I guess. Anyway I wish more companies made cars like this they would be in less trouble now.

Fun to drive overhead cam engine has nice pickup and great ecomomy 36+ MPG

Since its not in production this would be a mute point

167,000 miles and still going strong!
By EHWRYN

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with around 70k miles on it and so far in the past 5 years only have had 1 major break-down ( pullies for the serpentine belt broke)since this is a non-interference engine - no engine damage. Other than that I have had very little trouble (alternator went out and a PC valve - around 120k miles). It is very reliable and starts every time! For a 11 yr old car, it still has power and is fun to drive. The engine has never overheated, even when charging up a hill with the A/C on full blast while it is over 100 degrees outside. I never worry when I have to drive long distances - And a mechanic told me it was a "throw-away car not built to last".

Reliable, well constructed, (no door handles breaking or knobs falling off) and AMAZING gas mileage. Back seat size is fine for me - never get chosen to be the driver on a long road trip with friends!

Ford needs to manufacture them again, with the added feature of an interior trunk release.

GREAT
By tink

1998 Ford Escort Coupe ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used 3 years ago i had to do very little mechanical work the major thing that went wrong was the timing jumped i am getting ready to buy a 2nd ford escort if that tells ya how much i loved this car my son(teenager) drives the one i bought 3 years ago and loves it i would reccommend this car it very realiable and trustworthy

a cd player and make it a lil more roomier on the inside