Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

escort 330 k miles
By dan299

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

bought the car with 156000 miles about 6 years ago..im at 330;000 and still running good had to replace the clutch,,but u should expect that with that mileage...other than that just regular maintenance.......

Broke all the time
By rose313

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this Escort, my first car, with 55k miles on it and drove it until the transmission went at 210k miles. Every month from the time I bought it, it was in the shop. I had to replace everything, some things twice, such as the muffler and exhaust. I replaced the e-brake, shocks, struts, fuel injection system, intake valve, just about everything in this car. I loved it because it was my first car and the fact that it was so roomy, I loved having so much space in the back. I used to see these on the road all the time, but now I hardly ever see one, I'm guessing it's because they all fell apart.

Exterior was fine, paint didn't peel even after very high mileage. The hatchback was easy to use and had plenty of space.

I wish it had been made with better quality parts, so I wouldn't have to have spent so much money fixing it.

Got me around
By usn_ht

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

One of Ford's best for basic trasportation.
Purch from original owner with 111k mi after sitting in yard for 2yr. Have driven it 65k miles since. Never left me stranded, only normal maint. items; i.e. timing belt, brakes, tires, muffler. New England winters & excessive road salt have taken a toll on the body.
Engine still runs strong and uses less that 1qt. of oil per 2k miles.

Shifts well. Good gas mileage. Great for basic transport.

more sound dampening. If body was in good shape I would Dynamat the whole interior and maybe a Corbeau driver seat. Stock seats are less than adequate for my 6'2" frame and a 38 mile commute.

Fantastic City Car
By jhs7

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I've driven this car for the past 11 years and have had very few problems with it.
It has enough power to be fun to drive, and to get you around slow trucks when you need to, while still getting good gas mileage.

The best thing about it, though, is the amazing amount of cargo space for an economy coupe.
Between the surprisingly roomy trunk, and the fold-down seats, you can actually haul quite a lot of stuff.
I am regularly surprised at how much I can stuff into such a small car.

On top of that, it's one of the best-looking cars in its class, (IMHO), it turns on a dime, and it fits in almost any parking space. The only thing it doesn't do well is snow. But then, what little car does?

Big trunk and large opening to the trunk (for its class). Tight turning radius. Cool-looking headlights.

Gear shift can be a bit persnickety. Also, the electrical outlet shuts off when you turn off the car, which can be annoying at times.

THIS CAR JUST KEEPS GOING!
By gradstudent99

1998 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car back in 2005, have had it almost 6 years and have put close to 50,000 miles on it.
This car has been through snow storms, and near floods.
Has never left me stranded or broken down on me.
Has never had a day where it didn't start.

This has been the most low maintenance car I've ever had.
Over the past 6 years I can't say that I've spend more than $1,200 on my car.
Which is like an average of $300 a year including oil changes and tire replacements etc.

Love this car, and at 140,000 its tickin' like it just left the dealer's lot.

Manual transmission has a good strength and feel for a car that only has 130 hp, it gets up there and has gone toe to toe with civics, eclipses and defeated them.