Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

"98 Ford Escort Wagon
By Shey

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

A/C not working but has been a very reliable car.

I like the mileage. I can fit most anything in the car or on the roof for hauling. I like small cars as I can park anywhere.

Better defrost air flow.

Basic Transportation, Noisy on the Road
By Ken H

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

We bought this car for our daughter's use while at school on the east coast. It spent three years in Philadelphia, crossed the country three times ending up on the west coast. The car has 101K miles on it currently. We've had two major engine repairs. One involving an internal governing device in the engine and the other was a head gasket that had to be replaced at 80K miles. One thing that does stand out with this car is the high road noise especially at freeway speeds. Only other item that is an irritant is the seat belts are attached well behind the front seats and are very difficult to reach with the doors closed.

Gas mileage.

Not sure how you'd fix the engine problems. The front seat belts could maybe be placed on a track like some are so you don't have to reach way behind yourself to grab the belt. Heavy undercoating would hopefully help with the road noise problem.

She's good
By Lovemycar

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

My first car, has held up very well. Bought her with 39,000 on it, so far am at 52,000 in a little over a year. Very few maintenance problems, and any problems were minor, like windshield wipers. Excellent for all of the driving that I do between school, work and home (over 60 miles daily M-F) and I only fill up about once a week. She's always been there for me.

Miles per gallon - while the tank is small, the car goes over 300 miles before the light comes on. Trunk space very good. I love my clicker - door lock/unlock, alarm, trunk pop.

Gas tank is small - Quikfill won't stamp my card because I can rarely put in 10 gal. Doesn't handle well in rain, or snow (without studded tires). Accelerates rather slowly, which also makes it sometimes difficult to pass a slower moving vehicle ahead of me.

Phenomenal
By Rick

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I bought my pre-owned Escort coupe as a temporary replacement for my older car, until I could decide what I wanted. Well, I fell in love with the car right away and I've had it for five years. It has a great ride for a small car. I was especially pleased with how it runs with ease on the highway. Now, after five years, it has 90K miles and I cannot recall a single repair. I've only changed the oil on schedule, kept up with the rest of the maintenance schedule and replaced the tires. I've been very pleasantly surprised with this car. Now, with the price of gas, I really am glad that I have it. It is still one of the most efficient cars out there.

Gas mileage and reliability.

Serious problems ZX2
By caden

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I have had my 98 ZX2 near 3 years now. Since buying it with 70k on it, after 100,000 seems it started having problems, waterpump, tension pulley has broken off twice, thermostat. Other routine maintence. Pretty expensive to have the timing belt replaced. But the biggest problem is the auto transmission. Have to have it rebuilt and still doesn't shift correctly. Some unknown problem has drained all of my power, i have to have it too the floor to barely get going most of the time. Great sound system though, small and compact, keyless entry only on the driver door is weird though.

sound system, used to be power but not anymore, GOOD gas mileage.

I have heard of too many transmission complaints.