Used 1998 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Highly Recommended!
By Meg022

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

I really love this car--it's the second one I have owned (totaled the first one). It has great pickup considering it's a 4-cyl. The exterior design is fabulous! (I have the 2-dr coupe with spoiler on the back). I love looking at it, even after all these years! Bought both of my ZX2s used, and had minimal repair...until I hit the 90K mark. Then, every inspection has been a $500+ ordeal, but had no emergency repairs. I had to replace the E-brake cable, the thermostat, needed to add freon for A/C, replaced the CAM shaft, and one of the control arms, etc. over a period of about two years. It does get a little uncomfortable for long trips--the interior is small, and the seats are FIRM.

Exterior styling is great--so sporty!, tight handling, keyless entry, overall size, good sound system. Reliable car!

Interior trunk release is needed! Drives me nuts to have to turn the car off to get in the trunk. Car vibrates excessively at idle, not too bad in snow/rain, but not great either. Transmission seems to shift oddly--may be due to high mileage. At 105K, time to think about trading it in.

Amazx2ing
By mike1975nj

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Hot 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car used in 9/03 from a private party. I have all original receipts from this car since new including the window sticker. I lucked out big time. I have a 1998 5 speed and at the time I didn't want red nor did I want a Ford. After three years of owning this car I must say it is without a doubt mint. I love everything about this car except the fact that Ford canceled it and replaced it with junk. I must say that I am so happy that I got a stick rather than the automatic which is terrible and boring in this car. This is not a sport or racing car rather a sporty little economical car that if treated right with go head to head with any Toyota, Honda, or Madza (lol). Amazing!

Handling turns, fog lights, moonroof, reliability, the heat/ ac, park it anywhere, gas mileage.

Continue making them, trunk cd player, braking system, interior.

Unexpectedly decent car
By Escort driver

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Sedan

We bought a used 98 model in late 2002. Since then we made a round trip to Canada (about 1500 miles) made a trip to Virginia twice and so far has put on mileage of 60k. The car runs great. No mechanical problems so far. Hope it would keep running, since I am a JDM fan, so astonished by its performance.

Nice exterior and interior for a small car. Comfy.

The handling is really questionable. Have strong doubts about its handling in rain and snow as it skids a lot.

Good car for young drivers
By cpa0217

1998 Ford Escort ZX2 Cool 2dr Coupe

Bought for teenage driver. She has been driving it for 5 years. Other than some "wear & tear" items & maintenance, this has been a very trouble-free car.

Looks cool - important to young drivers! VERY reliable - important to parents!

More leg room in back would be nice.

alive to tell
By alive

1998 Ford Escort SE 4dr Wagon

This car is what you'd expect, a 4/5 person economical car mover with a little more space because it's a wagon. My Escort was totaled last week, T-boned at a traffic light. Honda CR-V ran the red light, impacted my car on the front right corned just in front of the tire. Both air bags deployed, all seat belts held, everyone survived, air bags bruised our faces pretty well. This car saved all 3 of us. Due to the car being 9 years old the car was totaled, not because of extensive damage but because the air bags cost $1K each plus labor. Yes I'd buy another Escort if I needed good cheap transportation, 36 MPG highway.

We live in Arizona and the AC will freeze you out...that's a good thing when its 115 degrees out.

Recall item: Motor mounts cause vehicle to vibrate on country roads. Low power makes it slow to pull out into traffic.