Used 1997 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

I can't find a better car
By Grunchy

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in 2004 with 160,000 km on the odometer (7 years old). It's now up to 230,000 km and runs the same. Not a lot of maintenance in that time, total must be < $500 for 5 years. I changed the timing belt because I didn't know its history, had the broken rear springs replaced (mainly because they made a disagreeable "clunk" noise). The CV joint boot split one day so I had CV joints done. The front brake discs developed a warp so I changed the pair for $65 Cdn including tax -- the pads still have lots of meat! The car still runs great, no problems. I am having an extremely difficult time finding a replacement that has the same features & functionality(it's now 12 years old).

Very clean, simple car. Excellent mileage, excellent reliability. Cheap, yet still manages to look presentable. This thing just will not quit!

I would consider putting in an aftermarket stereo but the faceplate adaptors all seem to be pretty cheap. Oh well, the factory radio still works 100%. It could use a set of bazooka tubes tho.

Just OK
By Matt

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I have no complaints about the car other than the fact that the performance is basically non-existent. But for a 2L four, what can you expect. The mileage is ok, I usually get around 26 combined city/highway. Over the years its just been routine maintenance: oil, filters, belts, and the water-pump.

Gas mileage is pretty good. Not a bad car just to get around town.

Improve the final gear ratio to drop the RPMs while on the highway.

Great car!
By Ryan

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

We now have almost 178k miles on this little gem. A few minor repairs and few there, plus regular maintenance and WOW. She's been a good runner for us.

small size, 34 mpg, wagon means I can haul stuff

This car is what it is. I wouldn't replace a thing.

Never liked it, but it keeps going
By never liked it

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

Cup holders are too shallow, things always spill. I have had a number of O2 sensors and other such things replaced. Had to take it back to the dealer a week after purchase...entire top end replaced under warrant at about 34,000. It now has 150,00 on it. It leaks/burns oil, the radiator leaks, the AC compressor self destructed, the trannyis starting to slip, I've had two exhausts put on it, I've done a couple brake jobs. Like all these cars the rear springs are broken and the front end wears. Also, I have always found this car to be incredibly underbraked. I could, from day one, slam the brake pedal with both feet and not lock up the brakes.

Ability to just keep going.

More powerful brakes, a better stereo, bad choice on the rear springs.

BEST VALUE CAR EVER
By Fuzzyhotdog

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this last year sometime. Paid 600 bucks for it. Small hole from rust in the transmission line under the radiator but easy fix. It was so cold that the rest of the family's vehicles did not start at all. This little ford fired up no problems. It has over 179,000 miles and still running on factory parts. Am looking for another.

Basic radio, no cd/cassette. I like that cause that is one less distraction for Youth drivers. AC gets me cold in the summer, Heat gets me hot in the winter. Cant ask for much more.

I am in the process of installing a Hydrogen fuel generator to improve my gas mileage about 40%. It would be the greatest Budget car if I can break 40 mpg