Used 1997 Ford Escort LX Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great Little Car!
By mcaldwell

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car brand new in 1996 when I was just four years old. This car has never failed to get us where we need to go! We even took it up to Canada one summer and it drove superbly! The gas mileage is a definite plus, however now that I'm no longer my little four-year-old self, and am 6ft tall, the back seat is extremely tough to get into. It's now our secondary car and we almost never put the whole family in it. I share it with my mom and it is a great, easy, reliable car with just enough get up and go to get me out of trouble and keep me out of it! The clutch is amazing; it's lasted over 106,000 miles and it's still like new! The only comlaint is a loss of power with the AC on.

Five-speed, twin-port fuel injection system for peppy engine. Fuel economy

I would suggest to get a model with tilt wheel. It's a little annoying for tall drivers because you have to drive with your legs open and it's hard to read the speedometer when it's in the higher range because of the low- steering wheel blocking it.

Modern version of the Model T!
By Just keeps going!

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

In 1903 Ford started off building reliable, easy to drive, inexpensive to buy, and reliable cars...the Model A. The Ford Escort and newer Ford Focus prove that Ford never lost sight of their heritage! (except briefly with the Pinto!) We bought this 1997 Escort new off the lot in 1996, when they first came out with the new generation Escort. It was improved in every way over the older Escort that I traded in. 150,000 miles later, I can honestly say that it beat every Honda and Toyota I ever owned, dating back to 1971! Reliable to a fault, great mileage, durability, easy to drive. Just about the perfect transportation car.

My son had driven it for a couple of years after turning 17, and my daughter will also drive it when she gets her license. Simple car, but it has the heart of a mule!

All of the issues have been addressed with the replacement of the Escort with the newer Focus!

The little red car that could!
By pickleman

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and paid only $10,000! This car has paid for itself so many times over, I ought to build a shrine to it! This is the 4 door sedan, the LX sport. It came with special sport seats with rear headrests and different fabric than the base model, plus a better radio, a wing on the trunk, nicer alloy wheels, spoiler, etc. 170,000 miles with only wear and tear items replaced (belts, engine mount, catalytic converter) the front head light lenses fogged over and replaced, several sets of tires and brakes and oil changes pretty much it!

So darn reliable, but a great car, too. My son is now driving it, and it's getting more abuse than I used to give it, but it still runs great! Good example of a perfect transportation car! The blue book now lists the true value at $1700.00, which is sad, but there's still a lot of life in her!

All the improvements were addressed when Ford ended the Escort run and started the Ford Focus production.

The Best Escort they ever made
By HELLO

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I have a metalic green (love the color) 1997 Ford Escort LX and it has been the best investment I have ever made. I have owned this car over 11 1/2 years and have had only small issues with the vehicle outside the routine maintanance up until recently 145,000 miles(starting to burn oil). First of all; the cup holders were to shallow to hold big cups which triggered spilled drinks if making quick turns. The rear stock springs cracked shortly after I had the car but drove it for 9 years anyway. The front tie rods are a stress point which wear out quick if you do a lot of quick radius turning. I guess I can't complain about 40,000 miles when the replacement parts are less than $100.00.

Ice cold air conditioning in summer and warm air in winter. My 5 speed handles like a sports car for an econobox with 30+ mpg around town. I have never had any mechanical or electical issues with my Ford Escort beside routine mantanance changing battery, spark plugs, oil changes.

Bring back the next generation Ford Escort ASAP or you might not have a repeat customer. The replacement Focus was ok but too boxy and not as sleek or economical as the Escort. Better lumbar support in the seats and no cheesy plastic on the doors. How about a hybrid Escort or plug in Escort.

My new car
By Gary Grove

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I like the size and the handling.The gas mileage is great. All maintance was normal. The price fit into budget. I like the color.

I like the size, four passangers and large trunk.

None