Used 1997 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

what do you expect?
By joe

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

lets be real its a escort. If I had more money Id drive a benz but im a broke loser who flips burgers. If you talk great things about your escort your a loser. It does the job go to work and maybe you can buy a nicer car down the road.

the cost of tires

nothing its a piece even when its new what do you expect for 13000 new

First Car Is Always Best!!!
By leia

1997 Ford Escort 4dr Sedan

Got this as my first car. I purchased it with 81,000 miles and 6 years old for $1200!!! A steal!!! The only things it has ever needed is basic wear and tear items. 175,000 miles now and the water pump and timing are still original. Still run conventional oil with no leaks. AT does not slip and has no leaks as well! This has been my greatest purchase ever!! I wish Ford would make another one. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!!!

Manual everything except trans. Great for first time drivers!!!

Make cup holders deeper so carpet doesn't get ruined and a little more leg room in the back seats.

Just had to rebuff
By Matt

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I had to say something when I saw the posts bashing the sedan's performance. The Escort line has a long rally racing heritage and our other cars were BMW 3 and 5 series--there was practically no difference between them and our little Escort when it came to driving fun and handling. We're 12 years and 132,000 miles and the only repairs came from someone hitting us and two recalls that involved the air bags and seat belts. If Ford still made these, we'd be buying another one as an added vehicle, but sadly they want to focus on the Festiva instead.

Reliability. Fun to drive. Good fuel economy. Sporty seats and driver positioning that hold you in place for good maneuverability.

Get rid of the stock tires and go with a good set of sport touring tires that grip the road better. Massive improvement in handling, especially in wet weather, otherwise it can feel "loose". WANT European version that has all-wheel drive and 5-speed auto-transmission instead of 2/4 like USA got.

Bullet proof
By John

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

I hope I don't jinx myself, but my Escort seems indestructible. I bought it with 72,000 miles and it just turned over 237000! It runs like a champ and gets 33-34mpg consistently. It still has the original clutch, struts, and even exhaust system! I would not hesitate to drive it cross-country. I typically change the oil at around 4K- 5K miles (most of my miles are pretty easy, few city miles) and it is never more than 1/2 quart low on oil. I love my Escort and will be very sad when I finally have to replace it. I'm shooting for 300,000 miles!

Good basic transportation, cold AC, warm heat. Nothing fancy, but dependable as all get out.

Moot point as they haven't made them in 8 years, but I am continuously perplexed by the decision to put a driver's door only keyless entry. Put it on all four doors or none at all...it seems pointless.

1997 Ford Escort station wagon
By Fay Forto

1997 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

It drives like new. I enjoy driving it and it is a great gas saver. I can drive all day long and it is fun to drive it. It takes 5 passengers including me the driver. It drives very smoothly. I can put groceries behind the back seat. I can also put things on top of the car. It is very useful to me. I love it because it gives the same comfort just like a mini van or SUV. It is very comfortable. It provides what I need in a car. I do not have to spend a whole lot of money buying an expensive car because this one provides me what I really needed in a car. I enjoy driving it and I want other car owners to know that it is not just foreign cars that saves me gas. I am happy with it.

My favorite features are the following: First, I like this car because it has 4 cylinder that saves me lots of money on gas. Second, I can have four other people ride with me. I feel comfortable driving it because it drives very smoothly. It drives and ride like new. I don't have to buy a new car.