Used 1996 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Great econo-box
By missouri_escort

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car new on April Fool's day of 1996. It has been great with no major problems. I replaced the speedometer at 84,000 miles, a weak point with all Fords of this era; miles and timing belt, it will happen to all of them, at 100000+ miles. I replaced the ignition pack at 110,000. It will do 30+MPG on trips and 26 MPH town and country. With 113,000+ miles it still runs like new on original tune and spark plugs.

1) Gas mileage. 2) The 1.9L engine is a great improvement over the original 1.6 Escort engine of the early 80's. It should outlast the rest of the car by a long shot.

Ford should have made the a/c vents easier to adjust. The tiny handles are just too small. The speedometer needs better bearings for the needle to allow it operate properly for the life of the car.

Great Car For the Money
By Matt

1996 Ford Escort LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in Aug. of '05. So far it has been a good investment since it has taken me back and forth from work and school with little complaint. It is definitely a good car to have with the uncertain gas prices although the engine could use more power. The only major problem I had with this car is the heater core and the AC still doesn't work but I consider this pretty good for an almost 10 year old car. Overall I'm satisfied with my Escort and would definitely buy one again.

Handling, keyless entry, alloys and spoiler, fuel economy.

A more powerful motor option for all models not just in GT. Better quality door panels. One map pocket fell off and the other is getting there. No junky power seatbelts.

Hate Fords?
By TAllen

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I vowed never to own another Ford after owning a Tempo. HA! Bought this Escort because of its style and drive. Only had 100,000 miles when bought at 9 years old. The only major problem was I had to replace the harmonic balancer because it threw the timing off and made the car literally not want to move. Got it fixed and that 1.9L gets up and goes. Gets great gas mileage. And roomy for a small compact car. This was a good pick from someone who hates Fords. This one has helped change my mind although my wife still says CHEVY!

Economic. Gas mileage and just enough room for me.

Lose the auto seat belts and put real cup holders in it ... not ones just for looks.

I love my escort
By Kelly

1996 Ford Escort 2dr Hatchback

I really enjoy my escort. I bought it at 33,000 miles. I had no repairs for about a year and that was brakes. Its been a great car. I am outgrowing it. Its great for me, just not big enough for a family of 4.

no major problems.

Born to Last
By Need2know

1996 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

My Escort has 129,00 miles and is still going strong. My friends wanted me to purchase a new car years ago, but I am glad I didn't. Beside normal maintenance (oil, belts, brakes, spark plugs), I replaced the water pump and radiator. Sure those last two repairs costs a few bucks, but it is a lot cheaper than a new car payment. The car has always started (even in the MN cold). The car has plenty of power, but I don't believe in going over 65 miles/hour. If you want a car to do 90 on the interstate, this car isn't for you; Small cars do not handle the road vibrations and noise at high speeds. My only real complaint is that the speedometer went out in year three.

Lots of space in the back trunk with the back seats down.

Move the parking brake from the middle console to the floor. It gets in the way.