Used 1996 Ford Escort Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

My second chance Escort
By Matt Burkart

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

This is my 2nd Escort, my first one was a builder car. At the time the car was still pretty new so I liked it, but it had it's problems. My second one is identical to the first and I love it. But what is not to love about great gas mileage, and pretty much just general maintainence. It has 154,000 on it and just had plugs, wires, and an alternator put on it.

Very comfortable, 5-speed, cheaper tires than most newer cars. Overall a very sharp looking car.

Automatic seatbelt swiches that last longer, and speedometers that outlast the car.

Reliable
By Mila

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Bought the car w/ 26 000 miles in 2000. It now has 210 000). I have been a stickler in term of regular maintenance (oil lube etc.). I have alos changed a few things. I treat the car like a great car and it has been a great car. I commute a lot mostly freeway. I am very sentimental about the car - my first in the US (I am from Europe) and got me through grad school. People now tell me I need to buy something that matches my lifestyle more but I do not want to. There is nothing wrong with the car. When I go for oil change/tire work, they look for other things to do on the car and say - there is nothing wrong with the car. The mechanics tell me

N/A - they do not make them anymore

no regrets
By Jay

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Escort brand new over 10 years ago. It had a whopping 76 miles on it. After the initial nit picking during the warranty period, it has done well. It still gets over 30 mpg. I have replaced the struts, heater core, radiator, and the timing belt (twice). All these repairs happened after the warranty and I did the work myself. Parts are cheap for this car. I have never balked at its reliability during its now 172,000 miles. This car has seen a lot of my life, it's almost sentimental. My main regret is that I got the sunset red (pink) color. It was cool at the time, but not so now.

Factory freon is still in the a/c and it still is cold. Fuel economy is still good. Parts are cheap.

The Escort is now extinct. I wish that it had about 20 more horses. A shorter shift throw. And more value.

like a rock
By Mark

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I got my 96 Escort new 10 years ago. This car just wont die. I now have 131,000 miles on it and it still drives and looks like a new car. I have looked at new cars but I cant find any as nice as my Escort. I have had few problems and the oil is still at the full mark when I change the oil every 7000 miles. The body is rust free even after 10 Wisconsin winters. I still have cold ac. I keep it washed and waxed and the paint still looks like a new car. This has been the best car I have ever owned and I only hope my future cars are as good as this one (the car that keeps going and going and going).

Hate Fords?
By TAllen

1996 Ford Escort Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I vowed never to own another Ford after owning a Tempo. HA! Bought this Escort because of its style and drive. Only had 100,000 miles when bought at 9 years old. The only major problem was I had to replace the harmonic balancer because it threw the timing off and made the car literally not want to move. Got it fixed and that 1.9L gets up and goes. Gets great gas mileage. And roomy for a small compact car. This was a good pick from someone who hates Fords. This one has helped change my mind although my wife still says CHEVY!

Economic. Gas mileage and just enough room for me.

Lose the auto seat belts and put real cup holders in it ... not ones just for looks.