Used 1995 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

Best Ford I've owned yet.
By Jackie

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought my Ford new in 1995.It was priced right got great gas mileage still does. I've never had any problems with it only regular maintenance. Hubby wants to buy me new car I said no.Love my car..

Comfortable to drive.

None

A Great Compact Car
By Paul Cox

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I bought the car with 62k and it now has 122k. I've owned it for 7 years. I change the oil and filter every 4,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance items, I've replaced the timing belt, cooling fan, gas tank filler pipe, alternator, battery and front brake pads. The gas mileage is between 35-39 mpg. By far, this is the most economical and dependable car I've ever owned! I'm 63 years old and will never part with it!

Dependability and gas mileage.

Better paint, trim and sound system.

Great First Car
By DJ Fillman

1995 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I got my 1995 Escort LX Sport in July of 2007 with only 47,000 miles on it. I love the gas mileage it gets and it has reasonable power. In Jan of 2008 I was rear-ended with my car coming out on top. That just shows you that Ford knows how to build cars. I only had one major problem and that was when the clutch went out with 53,000 miles on it. Other than that my car has been great.

Gas mileage, it being a 5 speed, power and torque

Different place for cupholders, better speakers to cope with the radio

GT fun - big bang for the buck!
By Jack

1995 Ford Escort GT 2dr Hatchback

I have owned a lot of cars including classics but this little one really shines. Engine really comes to life after 2800 RPM . 15" 60's tires & sport suspension make the car stick to the pavement, especially on winding roads. Bought this for $1,700 with Pwr moon roof, wdw,locks, & CC with only 60K. 1 owner car! Replace brakes & exhaust myself. Car has been real reliable and fun. Suspension is tight unlike reg Escorts so you'll feel the bumps a bit. Not the most refined drive train, but like I said fun to drive, and has guts! Very decent on gas & burns regular. So, what more do you want for the price. Great on the Hwy too! If you can find a good GT, buy it. They're hard to find!

Handling, speed, & sunroof, 4 wheel disc. The engine is the Mazda 1.8 127HP. The same one in the Miata!

They should make these GT's again. What a blast for the price.

Why buy anything newer?
By yellowtail3

1995 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

Good car, very low cost of operation. The wagon is roomy. If you're shopping for one, get the 5spd - it will give much better performance & fuel economy that the automatic. Wagon is roomy; think of it as a 35mpg SUV, without the ground clearance. Run tire pressure little high - 40psi or so, and drive gently - and you'll see regular high-30mpg in town, and over 40mpg on highway. It can be done, I've done it. Fairly easy to work on. Good ergonomics - the wheel/shifter/pedal relationship is good, much better than the '95 Caprice I owned prior to this one. Escort Wagons are a great used car value, if you find a 5spd.

Fuel economy, space, overall utility, good looks.

It would be nice if it had a more potent, smoother motor. area.