Used 1995 Ford Escort LX Wagon Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Escort Wagon

LX 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (24 reviews )

Best Ford I've owned yet.
By Jackie

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought my Ford new in 1995.It was priced right got great gas mileage still does. I've never had any problems with it only regular maintenance. Hubby wants to buy me new car I said no.Love my car..

Comfortable to drive.

None

A Great Compact Car
By Paul Cox

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought the car with 62k and it now has 122k. I've owned it for 7 years. I change the oil and filter every 4,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance items, I've replaced the timing belt, cooling fan, gas tank filler pipe, alternator, battery and front brake pads. The gas mileage is between 35-39 mpg. By far, this is the most economical and dependable car I've ever owned! I'm 63 years old and will never part with it!

Dependability and gas mileage.

Better paint, trim and sound system.

Why buy anything newer?
By yellowtail3

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Good car, very low cost of operation. The wagon is roomy. If you're shopping for one, get the 5spd - it will give much better performance & fuel economy that the automatic. Wagon is roomy; think of it as a 35mpg SUV, without the ground clearance. Run tire pressure little high - 40psi or so, and drive gently - and you'll see regular high-30mpg in town, and over 40mpg on highway. It can be done, I've done it. Fairly easy to work on. Good ergonomics - the wheel/shifter/pedal relationship is good, much better than the '95 Caprice I owned prior to this one. Escort Wagons are a great used car value, if you find a 5spd.

Fuel economy, space, overall utility, good looks.

It would be nice if it had a more potent, smoother motor. area.

Best Ever
By Scott

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Best car I ever owned! Got 33-34 mpg driving 75mph on freeways in Texas. Got up to 40mpg on 2 lane highways doing 55mph.

Lots of go, cheap on gas.

Wish Ford would bring it back!

Little BIG Wagon
By ak

1995 Ford Escort Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Bought in 2002 with 105K miles while in school. Was well maintained by previous owner. It currently has 155K miles and had to replace Alternator, Clutch, Tie rod ends, Rear Suspension, Front brakes, Cooling Fan and Thermostat so far. The last maintenance was at 130K miles and never had to do anything after that. I still consider this a extremely reliable car and still gives me 38mpg highway! The engine is rough and noisy, but will start in one try even on coldest days. Have made many long distance trips, a couple of them over 1500 miles one way, and this car has never ever left me stranded. Too bad have to sell it now, am sure the next owner will put another 50K miles easily on it!

Reliability, gas mileage, enormous trunk space.

Headlamp glass, engine and road noise.