Used 1994 Ford Escort Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Escort

View reviews for a specific Escort model:

250,000 miles and still going
By Jan

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I love my wagon. Never anything major gone wrong. It is a 5 speed manual and still has original clutch. Yep, the ol' gal has been a trooper. I'm thinking of getting a new vehicle now but I will not get rid of my old faithful. I never would have beleived when I bought this car new that it would reach 250K miles. What a car!

Have you heard the saying about stuffing 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound bag? Well, that is the way this little wagon is. I have won bets with people that would not believe me when I told them how much I could haul in this little wagon. Big sometimes does come in small packages.

How can you improve on anything so reliable? After 14 years of getting me around, I wouldn't change a thing.

boring economical car
By john

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Hatchback

this car is only for point A to point B driving. every thing elsle on it is boring. its performance sucks. At high speeds it vibrates and its does not hug the corners like I wish it would. one day i was on the freeway and decided to try to keep up with a pretty new BMW m3, I did but it was hard as heck. so basicaly this car is for economical driving only not for performance or fun to drive car.

gas milage

a lot more power

Nice car, can be a nightmare though...
By HOTCAR

1994 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

My 1.9 liter Escort is extremely peppy, but here's some advice for people who are going to buy one. Don't gun it at green lights and stop signs. The head gasket is 95% common to blow in these cars. I learned the hard way burning people at green lights, although it’s tempting. Gas mileage is iffy, cheap to fill, but the mileage is poor. It goes quick. Auto seatbelts broke too. I take care of it as much as I can, but it rusts. I love the car but what can I do?

Seatbelt (when they worked), zippy motor, radiant colors, alloys and spoiler, accent colors on the seats, the horn!

Sheet metal, better quality parts that last

14 years, going, and going...
By Ivo

1994 Ford Escort LX 2dr Hatchback

I got excellent deal on this lease return from Ford dealership, with 45000 miles in 1997. For ten years and 90k I don't think I spent more than $2500 on maintenance and repairs, not more than two of which wouldn't be considered regular wear and tear. Engine still runs smoothly and quietly. I now have to replace the clutch, which I blame mostly on my driving habits (like holding the car still uphill by balancing the clutch, instead of using brakes). I am just reluctant replacing the car, afraid that with a next one, I will pay back for all the good experience I had with this one.

Gas mileage, street parking, cargo space.

I adjusted my expectations when I decided to go with basic economy car, so, none.

1994 Ford Escort LX Sport
By X. March

1994 Ford Escort LX 4dr Wagon

I recently took the car to the mechanic for a periodic full check up. My mechanic volunteered the following unsolicited comment: "I wouldn't think twice about taking this car across country. It is in such a good shape." This experience reflects my feelings about the car and my experience with it: "Not a single real problem in all these twelve plus years!". I chose the car because of (1) its fuel economy, (2) its ample room for either people or for loading shopping, (3) its comfort for unloading or loading because: of low back door and back seat down option, and (4) its sporty look. It turned out that to this I should add (a) its dependability and (b) its reliability.

(A) Fuel economy, (B) Its flexibility to either transport people or shopping loads, furniture, etc., it all fits in!

Cruise control. CD deck. Power windows.