Used 2013 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

What a GIANT mistake !
By Dave

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car has been nothing but a giant headache sense we first got it . I can't count the times it's been taken in for something . If it's not a recall its the actual car malfunctioning. Here is a list of problems within the first two years :
-Sensor was causing the car to flutter and shut off.
-water pump
-back window needs new switch
-seat belts won't stop retracting
-front anxel needed to be replaced
-radio would not turn on
-alternator needs to be replaced

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but you get the point. But the most aggravating thing about this car is the placement of the battery . The battery is under the dash board , only the positive connector is sticking out . To get the battery out you have to remove the air filtration system . I can't imagine that ford is that stupid , I can only assume they did it on purpose . I will never buy another American made car . Thank you ford, dodge and Chevy for teaching me to never buy an American made car again. I'm trading this garbage on four wheels in for a Toyota .

2 years old & I've spent $7,000 in Repairs
By Bruce Reasoner

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I own 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 L ecoboost AWD I bought new in 2013 It has 77,000 miles almost all freeway.. This year I've spent $7,000 in out of warranty repairs.
Faulty injector and faulty BCM (body control module) $2,500.
New transmission $4,500
I am so disgusted with the quality of the Ford Escape
This is worst car I've ever owned and I think I would rather be hung by my toes than purchase a Ford Escape.
HEED THIS WARNING.. FORD ESCAPES ARE ENDLESS MONEY PIT.

The Worst Vehicle Ever, Glad I Escaped from Escape
By Jim J

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Oil Burning Odor being drawn into the cabin from the engine compartment, FORD NEVER figured out the problem. Hood seal was bad and something was letting off a burning oil smell, smoke under the hood. Transmission Failed and was rebuilt, rear differential was rebuilt. All of this happened before 3 years 36,000 miles.
Safety restraint computer needed to be replaced under recall... It took Ford almost a year from announcing the recall to actually have the part available. FORD Seems to put their sales before taking care of their current customers... They got your money, now you don't matter to them... What happened to Ford Quality... I Bought a Toyota to replace the Escape...I Escaped!!!

Worst SUV on the Planet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By DM Piazza

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Worst SUV ever!!!!!!!!!!! Bought my Escape SEL/AWD brand new push start technology package, rear hatch release sensor, auto start, ambient lighting, heated front seats pretty loaded. Let’s start with the obvious issue 1st it stalls when you are driving it. This happened 5 times in 2 years once pulling into the driveway (husband was driving) ok let’s chalk that up to a fluke. The 2nd time it stalled I was pulling into my work parking lot so far each time it was taken right back to dealership and left there for them to FIX every time within hours I was called to say they could not duplicate the problem so hence no found issue nothing done.. The 3rd time it stalled was on Highway Route 1 in stop and go traffic I almost got back ended so again right back to the dealership mind you this is all in the first year and a half of owning it. This time it stayed there for almost a week and the dealer said it had a recall so they would update the electronics (still however not able to duplicate the problem) and asked me if I was sure I was not turning it off while driving it??? REALLY??? REALLY??? YES I AM POSITIVE I AM NOT TURNING OFF MY CAR WHILE IN THE MIDDLE OF DRIVING IT !!!!!!!!!!! Received the call it was ready and to come get it. Ok off I go back to the dealership hopeful all will be fixed and I will have no more issues. Oh was I mistaken I left the dealership and headed down Route 295 to pick up a friend HUGE MISTAKE !!!!!! about 5 miles into my drive in stop and go traffic yep you guessed it STALLED AGAIN!!!!!!! At this point I am losing my mind and call to have them come pick up the death trap on the side of the road. Again no problem when they get it back to the dealership. Now I am still shaken up but willing to take it again. This time for a few months its ok I am optimistic that all is better and the issue is resolved. Oh how wrong I was……. The last time it decided it didn’t want to continue driving it stalled while I was making a left hand turn into a shopping center in the middle of a very busy 4 lane road I almost caused a several car accident thank goodness I was used to the stalling and threw it in neutral started in and floored it into the lot just missed getting t-boned but a second. This was it for me it took me over an hour to stop shaking, crying and being able to breathe again. The escape was traded by the end of the week. Since getting rid of it I have found out a lot of other people have had the same issue with accidents due to their escape stalling while driving it. I will never own another Ford product as long as I live. Ford is aware of the Issue and is being charged by the NHSA for not warning consumers of this huge problem with the Escape & Focus. There is a class action Law Suit also due to Ford not taking responsibility. So if you are looking into this SUV please do a lot of home work. I feel truly lucky that this suv did not kill me while I owned it.

Big mistake!
By Angie

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded in my 2012 ford escape for the 2013. When I got my 2013 ford escape sel I loved all the luxury items it's loaded. I bought it used with 17,100 miles. From the first month I owned it until now (I only had the car 7 months so far) it's been into 3 different garages 7 times due to a big list of problems. Now again it's in the garage they informed me that the turbo needs replaced thank goodness I got an extended warranty or this car would be gone. And also 11 recalls have been done to this car. I use to love ford.