Used 2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 158 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Disappointed
By Diana

2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Five recalls and disappointing gas mileage.

Nickle and Dime
By TB

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

There are known issues with this car that are not being addressed by Ford, such as lug nuts that the outer cover breaks down to the point you can't get the lug nuts off. Then the Ford dealer replaces them, at a cost to me of $100+ with the same damn lug nuts. This vehicle now has had two recalls announced. The first was for door latches that took nearly 9 months to get replaced. Now their is a recall involving potential engine overheating which may result in a fire. It has been one month since the announcement and no other news on this potential fire hazard. The mileage rating on this vehicle was a joke. It is rated for 25 city and 33 highway. The highest it has ever reached on the highway, for a 700 mile road trip, was 27. If you drive highway speeds the mileage actually gets worse than if you were driving on a 45 mph roadway. Lastly, 3 years into the vehicle, we receive a notice on the instrument panel that the battery is low in the FOB. I replace the battery and the warning doesn't go away. While the car was in the dealer for the first recall, we asked them to check this. The result is the FOB somehow is bad and had to be replaced for $106 and this was after the extended warranty coverage. The last Ford I owned was an Explorer in 1991. After Ford screwed me around on the warranty I vowed I would never own another. Well I was talked into this vehicle and now regret it and will never purchase another Ford again.

Not happy with my 2013 Escape
By DB

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

What can I say but I'm very disappointed with my 2013 Escape SE and here I was excited to get in the new sleak style of the Escape. I own a 2005 Escape still to this day and loved driving it but this new Escape is very disappointing. So where should I begin? Let's start with the gas mileage. It's poor, poor, poor. Most of my driving is on the highway so I wanted my next Escape to have good gas mileage while also being four-wheel drive or AWD as it is. I did my research on the new Escapes and it says the its gas mileage for a 2013 Escape Se gets 21 city and 28 highway. I was excited to see this since my old Escape got 18 city and 24 highway. There's no way I get that. I probably get 19 city and I definitely get 23 or 24 highway. This is very disappointing. Those extra 4 - 5 miles per gallon would really make a difference. The other issue I have is with the placement of the car battery. The battery is in a position that is almost impossible for me to get out without taking an hour or two to disconnect all the wires, hoses, and cables necessary to just get the frickin battery out. Why would the engineers put the battery in a place where you can't easily get it out? Very stupid in my opinion. Shame on you Ford!!!

Escape is a great package
By Nick C

2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Styling and engineering are commendable. The 2.0l "Eco-boost" engine is a marvel of performance and reasonable economy. Many features and functions are comparable to those found in upscale brands. And the automatic park feature really works!

Little but mighty, the great ESCAPE!
By Nancy

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great SUV. Good gas mileage. Plenty of zip.