Used 2013 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 160 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great Vehicle Until the Turbo Died
By James Tarpley

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After the initial recalls in 2013, my 2013 Escape SEL was very reliable. I had it in the shop three times in 3 years (78K miles). Ironically, all three times were because the cluster communicated that Engine Coolant was low and the engine needed to be serviced. The first two times, the local Ford dealer ran a pressure test and it passed with no leaks. The dealer informed me that sometimes the coolant just leaves the system and they can't find the reason for it. The third time, they advised me that it was still holding pressure, but the turbo was leaking oil (causing a fire hazard), so it needed to be replaced. After seeing the $3,000 estimate to replace the turbo and comparing it to a resale value of $12K, I elected to sell the vehicle at auction without performing the repairs. At auction, with the necessary repair disclosed, I was able to get $9,600 for it, so it worked out in my favor.

The only other issues I had were Ford Sync related. The radio and blue tooth connection would stop all sound through the vehicle speakers. The Ford Sync people walked me through the process for fixing it the first couple of times. I had to perform a master reset on the electronic system. This is like restoring an Iphone to original condition and erasing all added data.

Lastly, as far as mileage, I averaged 26K miles/year. My combined average fuel economy came out to 21.2 MPG. Not bad mileage, but not what I expected for a 4 cylinder motor with an "Eco-boost" performance enhancer. I even adjusted the performance of the motor to be as economical as possible.

I really did like my 2013 Ford Escape SEL and was sad to leave it at the dealer and send it to auction. It was a pretty comfortable ride on trips. I took a 5 day trip from NW Arkansas to Washington DC and back, and I was pretty comfortable the entire trip. Unfortunately, the cost of replacing the turbo was roughly 25% of the entire vehicle, and with the motor/transmission and electronics being 3 years old with 78K miles, I could not justify that significant of an expense.

If I had picked the 6 cylinder option without the turbo, I would never have let it go.

Perfect!
By Eric Oleson

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We wanted a reliable, safe car for our 17 year old and I know we have found it. The all wheel drive will keep her on the road and IF something happens to run her off the road she will be in one of the safest vehicles in its class. Amazingly it is comfortable even for my 6' 2" frame - Wow! And the panoramic sun roof almost makes you feel like you are in a convertible. My only humble issues with the Escape is that the Nav is not as intuitive as a Garmin Device and the Climate controls are a bit too complicated. But these are small matters compared to the overall Five Star nature of this great car!

2013 Ford Escape 2.0 Titanium
By GoTerps03

2013 Ford Escape SUV Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We traded in our 2007 MDX for a 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 Titanium in October of 2012. It had a lot of neat features and my wife and I liked the styling. Surprisingly this car has been headache free. It's the car we use to haul around our 2 year and dog and it's been perfect for that. Yes the fuel economy has been a bit disappointing and the Sync system at times can be sensitive and moody but overall this has been a good car.

Love it!
By Carol Franks

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my Escape! It's quick and fast. It doesn't get the fuel mileage they advertise though, nearly 25mpg on the highway, I travel 1100 miles, one way, twice a year. On level ground, I am getting 23.5 mpg, when I'm at my home in the mountains, I get about 22. My only real disappointment is that I didn't get the Ford My Touch! The young salesman never mentioned it to me but it does add about $5000 to the total cost.
Yes, it's had several recall's but to me that means that Ford is on the ball and not ignoring my safety.

My grandkids and I love the sun-roof, lol. I love the pick-up, lots of speed and quick maneuvering. The interior is comfortable and has lots of places for your "toys" like your cell phone, to plug in.

On the dash, in front of the radio screen, within the first month, the "pad" lifted off, that should be taken care of. I'll talk to my dealer about it when I take it in for this latest recall. Train your salespeople to show the buyer all the features and colors available. Take into consideration the shorter people who drive, there are many blind spots around the car.

A sporty little SUV, packed with amenities!
By alby144

2013 Ford Escape SUV SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought a 2013 Escape SEL, that had about 12,000 miles on it and so far have had no problems. 26MPG all around milegage is pretty nice for such a sporty, fun to drive vehicle of this size.

The interior is very nice with leather heated seats, auto-dimming mirrors, various colors of interior lighting to choose from and a very comfortable climate control system.

We have had two re-call notices (of no consequence) which is a little inconvenient.

I love the look of this little SUV both inside and out. The leather seats are nice and pretty comfortable. The interior lighting is amazing as is the Ford Sync system which can be a little overwhelming; unless you're a techy then you'll probably dig it. The 1.6 liter engine is peppy and responsive. That coupled with the six speed transmission and a sporty ride make this little SUV fun to drive. I have to imagine the 2.0 liter model is even more fun to drive! But 26MPG makes the 1.6 liter all worthwhile. We haven't had it on a road trip yet, but it looks like it may get up to 32-33MPG on the highway.

Door handles on the interior seem a little cheap. With all the extras of the the SEL model the passenger seat has no lumbar support nor memory settings or even electronic controls! Seems a little crazy to have so many awesome features and then skimp on the passenger seat. Other than that this little SUV rocks!