Used 2013 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Long road trip
By explorerx4

2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Back from a 2500 mile road trip with our 2013 AWD Titanium. It's a good road trip vehicle. Fuel mileage is pretty good, about 26-27 mpg overall, and it has plenty of power. Handles the PA hills on I-80 with ease. Both front seats are ok for spending some hours in.

Memory seat/mirror settings are convenient when you change drivers.

Rain sensing wipers work well most of the time, but not always,

Be Warned
By ken117

2013 Ford Escape SE 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Had a 2013 Ford Escape since April 2103. Got rid of it in July 2014. I was fooled by the seemingly positive reviews which swayed me over past experiences with Ford. Five recalls and a seemingly endless list series of issues. Some small like defective trim to some not so small. Things like the radio volumn which was never satisfactory or an issue with the cooling system which took three days to fix.

Thankfully, the thing was still under warranty. Knowing Ford, I owned three previous Ford mistakes, better to trade.
Seriously, my BMW had way fewer issues than this Ford. Ford, never again!

Not many, since nothing seemed to work properly. I did like the size.

Quality, quality, quality.

Our last Ford
By southtx

2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just traded off our '13 1.6L Ecoboost with 28k miles after finally losing confidence in the vehicle.
The stylish interior and Ford loyalty sold us to begin with, but the several recalls and follow-up notifications that the recall work might not have been done correctly took a toll (nine documented service events, and a handful of 'quick fix' visits).
While we had no problems at all with the navigation, the rest of the MyFordTouch system was even 'buggier' than what's prominently mentioned in reviews.
It never worked properly (or with any pattern of consistency) from the day the vehicle was new.
Fuel economy was never anything near what's advertised.
Wind noise was very bad.

Memory seats are a great feature. Unfortunately, ours changed positions with no input from us... we never knew where the seat would be. The SYNC/Nav display graphics and resolution are top-notch. Cimate control system was good; blew very cold and quickly cooled the vehicle down. Very attractive and stylish dash.

My biggest complaint with this vehicle was Ford's response to complaints with MFT (which is NO response, because they consider it a 'convenience'). Seats, while comfortable enough, look like the same seats used in the previous generation Escape. They don't really 'fit' with the otherwise snazzy interior.

Good Vehicle
By lee169

2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I did a lot of research on the 2013 Escape before buying and found lots of negative comments.
I was seriously considering buying something else until I found a forum and found 300% more positive comments.
I bought mine recently and here's some positive reviews.

- MPG:
go easy on the gas petal and you will get or exceed the EPA MPG.
I drove mine around Houston then to Ft Worth and avg 30.3 and that was using turbo 2-3 times.
- Recalls:
Ford is trying to fix problems...recalls are good.
Yes, they are annoying, but better fixed than nothing.
- Everything else:
Interior/Exterior trim is great.
Seats CAN be comfortable, take the time to set them up properly.

Overall great car!

EcoDriving. It's actually kind of fun on long trips to try to get the best possible MPG. It's kind of like a game at points. Sync.... It's a toy, it's a computer....sometimes I like it, others not so much. You will hear people complain about it, but you can do everything manually just as easily as voice activated. Don't let it deter you from getting the vehicle.

Wish Ford would offer after purchase rear view camera install.

Never Again
By sarahh2

2013 Ford Escape Titanium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had previously purchased a 2007 Mariner that I loved, but the new model Escapes are nothing like the old version. Between test driving the car and having it delivered from the dealership, the brakes warped, so I was back at the dealership within the first week of owning it. In the 7 months that I owned this vehicle, I also had it serviced for the driver's side window that wouldn't go up when it was cold out, the rear drivers side door wouldn't latch when it was cold, the computer had to be reset b/c the transmission delayed after depressing gas. Final straw was failure of the restraint control module, which activated 3 warning lights (traction control, airbag and hillside assist failure).

The model I owned was actually a 2.0L SE model, which had great pickup and horsepower, thanks to the bigger engine. Luckily, that engine has not yet been recalled, like the 1.6L. I liked the 2-tone interior and the blindspot mirrors... and that's about it.

Ford needs to make drastic changes to improve the safety and reliability of this car. The biggest frustration was the MySync feature, which only worked about 1/2 the time and was so difficult to get Bluetooth Audio to work that most of the time I just listened to the radio (which completely defeats the purpose of BT Audio). I only received max 22 MPG on the highway, a far cry from the 29 MPG they boast from the EcoBoost engine. Just recently unloaded the Escape for a VW Jetta Sportwagen (at a loss, but worth it for added peace of mind).