Used 2012 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Won't own Fords again! (That Sucks)
By jmjett

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I leased a new 2012 Limited 4x4 V-6. I have always liked Ford products, and even worked for them in the 90's.This rig has had a water leak problem since purchase. It's been almost 3yrs,and thank god my lease is almost done!! It has had 12+ repairs on the same problem, and mostly has had the same repair done. Repair doesn't work! It is a small leak, and most of the time it runs down the back window, but has run from small hooks in back,sunroof, soaking passenger side floor boards front and back.Living in the NorthWest isn't helping. Super disappointed in Ford for how this was handled or not handled. I've been ruined for life and no longer will support any of Fords products! (wish differently)

Liked the Navigation system its simple and easy to use.

I would say redesign it, but they have(2013)

Worth it..
By ry_american26

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I got my 2012 Escape used, about 2 months ago. $21,500 I've put almost 5,000 miles on as I drive a lot. Its almost fully loaded, Sunroof, Premium sound, heated leather, microsoft sync. This is my second Ford, and I was hesitant about this, because I had a 2008 Ford Fusion I purchased brand new for $23,000, and it was a total lemon, it was serviced a million times & had transmission issues, thats for another review though, the escape handles beautifully, is good on long trips, Sync really comes in handy because I tend to talk and drive and it allows my iPhone to play my playlists directly off the radio. I reccomond this vehicle %100

Microsoft Sync, Heated Leather, Big sunroof

Car requires rainguards if you even want to crack the window with the wipers on, you get a waterfall.

Great Car for the money
By roadrunner00

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the 4 cylinder limited model to get better gas mileage than we were getting with our 8 cylinder full size SUV. Having said that you can definitely tell its a 4 cylinder. it definitely doesn't have the get up and go that Ive become accustomed to but thats a trade I was willing to make. It feels luxurious and comfortable inside which was surprising to me since I am tall and I thought it was going to be too small.
I still think the turning radius is poor for its size. Parking spaces and uturns can be a challenge. My Tahoe and expedition used to spin on a dime and with the escape I often end up needing to do a three point turn.
But for the money you can't beat it and I am happy with my purchase.

Terrible brakes and awful safety features
By deekay18

Safety:
The brakes on this SUV is notorious to be the worst braking system in it's class.
It takes 154 feet to stop this SUV from 60MPH and brake fade is expected, which adds on more footage.
This means that it takes a minimum of 11 lengths of Ford Focus' to stop the Escape at the best without brake fade.

Also, the Escape uses drum brakes on the rear.
What is this 1990?
The brakes also lock up frequently and this is a known problem all over the internet.

The IIHS crash test ratings are not great either.

Ford Certified and after sales service- Awful processes and follow through
By sajuedmunds

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been a big fan of Ford and GM cars with all their warts and issues, so this was a curious experience with Ford and its dealer at Lawrenceville, New Jersey. A car is really a sum of experiences. I bought a pre -owned Ford Escape Certified by Ford. Shocking gaps at all stages.
1. Ford Pre certified. Was given a gar with broken bumpers and mechanicals. The dealer refused to change it the bumper and I also decide to focus on other transmission issues. After 4 weeks, car called in for a day. I got it after nearly 2 week. No loaner or rental.
2. Service - the words dripped with honey but you know when you are spun. Ford directs you to dealer
3. Its car - rough and cheap though functional

Single stalk controls, sun roof, other bell and whistles

Ford Pre Certified and Service. I was hel bent on buying a Ford Fusion 2014, but for the first time in 20 years, Mind conquers the heart! - I expect some element of trust to be engendered during a transaction. Not sure how long patriotism, nostalgia and styling can carry a marquee through.