Used 2012 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love my escape
By Bobby

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I own 2012 (V6) XLT escape and love it it is really relaible and ride is great. I have it for 2 years now and had 78K miles, just oil change on regular intervals no issues. Love this truck

Love Our 2012 Escape
By Jackie

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
The only choices on "trim" were for Hybrids, which ours is not, but I wanted to write a review because we're so happy with our 2012 Ford Escape XLT. Now that we own a 2012 Ford Escape, I look for them on the road so I can admire the smart design, which is sporty and fun, from the metallic paint, the cargo carrier on the roof, the side runners, and the rugged looking grille, our 2012 is the best looking year for the Escape, IMHO. We had a checklist of things we wanted in our next vehicle and the 2012 Escape has it all and I love everything about it. We're very happy with the cabin size, not too big, yet we have enjoyed all the room we've ever needed and then some. The headlamps are clear and bright and I appreciate the way the car stays lit until I can get out and to the house at night. We took a long trip shortly after purchase and had plenty of space and comfortable seating. Both of us are tall people and the driver's side can be a knee bumper until you learn the car's geography, and my 6'4" husband has to duck his head to keep from bumping it upon entering the car but he says that it's still the easiest car he's ever gotten in or out of. We've had our Escape for nine months and had no problems, mechanical or otherwise. Since up-sizing from our Ford Escort, we've noticed a huge difference in comfort and sound reduction from the road. We were fortunate to find our Escape with low mileage, so we expect to enjoy many years of ownership. I read a complaint about the back seat being a pain to put down (the headrests have to come off), but for us this is not a problem since we'll probably never have to utilize the entire back of the car. And if we have to take those measures to lower the back seat, then we'll just do what we have to do. It's a back saver to easily load and unload groceries and have plenty of room to accommodate a days' worth of shopping or a long trip. We felt we got a great deal on this SUV. I adore this car and if this is the last car I ever own, I'm happy to have it be our 2012 Escape! November 2016: We have owned our Escape for over a year now, taken two long trips, and still love it! We see lots of 2012 Escapes on the road and always mention to each other that they are so good looking and that we feel we made the best choice in buying this vehicle. Have had no problems, mechanical or otherwise. We are believers in timely oil changes so we take it to the dealership, Gilbert & Baugh, for that (they are wonderful to deal with!). Even if I could, I would not part with my 2012 Ford Escape. It's perfect size , great gas mileage, reliability, and sharp design make this car the vehicle we designed in our heads when we dreamed of having an SUV. My initial review shortly after purchase in September 2015 still holds...we love it!

My Little Escape
By lulu

2012 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This vehicle is a lot of bang for your buck. It lets you experience luxury with a affordable price. We love it.

Great car!
By Teresa Martin

2012 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car has been on the VIP program at Sheehy Ford since 2012.

Good Commuter Car
By Vic

2012 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle new in August 2012 and I have had no major complaints for 4 years.

PROS:
This is a decent commuter car, no bells and whistles, nothing fancy. This is a $20,000 car so you get what you pay for.
I can answer my cell phone hands free, (SYNC & SUN Model), which is pretty cool.
I have not noticed the braking system problems that so many have mentioned.
It turns well and easy to navigate in parking lots.
Plenty of cargo space for shopping, bags of mulch, flats of flowers etc.
I get 25 mpg for my commute to work in highway stop and go traffic, but I have gotten 31 mpg on long highway trips.

Once every 6 months the starter makes an awful noise, as if I tried to start the car while it is already running. (???).
I have a 4 cylinder so there is no "get up & go".
Leaks in rear window & probably driver side door as carpet is always wet when it rains. (not sure where the water is coming from).
The door handles and the sun visors are very cheaply made, (hate them).
Radio speakers are pretty generic.
Backseat area is small. Only a small child would be able to sit in the middle seat.
The rear folding seat is the worst design. It is a major project if you want to fold the seats down. It is a multi-step process, AND they will not lay flat unless you take the head rest off too. Ugh awful. I don't carry passengers so I took off the three headrest and stored them in garage, so if I need to lay down the rear seating I will not have to deal with the headrest too.
UPDATE CONS: Running the AC will greatly reduce MPG and power. I have a 4 cylinder. If i had to do over i would have bought 6 cilinder just for the "get up & go power"