Used 2010 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Just ok
By stev sc

2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Overall an ok car. Cheap materials inside. Switches failed. Minor problems turned into big things quickly. Traded in vehicle in dec 2015. Very low trade value! To many minor things gone wrong for a vehicle with only 77000 miles. Total exhaust system failure. Vehicle problems so many that i actually left Ford after 50 years!

The best Compact SUV on the road today!
By Brian

2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2010 Ford Escape was my first choice when I bought this car, two months ago. I bought the Ford Escape XLT I4 Four cylinder and opted with it instead of the V6 because when I drove a 2015 Ford Escape, which I really like, with a V6, I felt it was too racey and punchy for city driving between lights. In fact I found myself having to pass alot of drivers because it was just too fast. But if you want a more punchy version of the I4, the Escape has the V6 which is sure to please.

I bought the I4 at a large car dealership. I was offered 5 year warranty on top of an addditional 1 year dealer warranty. If you go to buy a Ford Escape, try a large car dealership, because, they can and will work with you to get you a sweet deal.

So I have been driving my new/used Ford Escape for two months. So far, the car is absolutely perfect. It handles turns with ease. No more will I or any other Ford Escape driver have to fear turning too wide, when driving down a particularly narrow road. The car handles sublimly.

In the rain, the Ford Escape has few peers. With careful driving, it handles perfectly. The Ford Escape comes with rear window windsheild wiper, which I use every time it rains. There are no mechanism failrues ever on the rear or front windsheild.

The car has occasional vibrations at high speed on the highway. But those are usually only audible when the back window are open. The XLT package comes with automatic rear and front window controls. Use those when driving on highways to raise the window shut. The vibrations disappear instantly.

The Ford Escape has better milage that is usually reported in consumer reports. The high numbers are 34 Highway, 30 City. But look for them being more like 36 Highway, and 32 city. I drive every day usually to do errands, to get lunch or dinner. The 2010 Ford Escape uses very little gas, and is a gas sipper.

It will suprise you how little gas it uses. You might have to fill the car twice a month when using it to and from school for the kids, to get groceries, to run errands, to go to dinner.

I haven't taken my new used Ford Escape on a long road trip yet, but I am sure it will be one of the most enjoyable road trips ever.

I highly recommend buying the Ford Escape. The Ford Escape is AAAA+ in reliablility, handling, engine, interior, entertainment.

The Ford Escape is one of the best made cars in the US auto market today.

ac texas
By tra

2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Garage kept 2010 air conditioner blows hot then a squirt of cold texas and 22,000 miles cheap cheap cheaply made

Drive Shaft, Door Latches and all 4 door agitators
By Anthony S.

2010 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2010 Ford Escape used with 27,000 miles on it in October, 2012. I had a drive shaft issue which was fixed by the dealer as a recall item. When I reached roughly the 40,000 mile mark in early 2014 I began to see problems with my door latches opening with the remote key fob ( I realize the mileage has NOTHING to do with the door agitators). Since I didn't always open all 4 doors and it was happening only once in a while it wasn't that much of a hindrance. My driver side always (and still does) work with an old fashioned key turn process. Fast forward to the fall of 2014 and now 3 of my 4 doors were giving me problems. I took it to the dealer and the verbal quote to fix the problem was "around $2000.00". I knew the problem wasn't going to fix itself but it was more than I could afford at the time. It was especially difficult to imagine that a car worth around $10,000 had 20% of its value in door latches and agitators. Beginning summer of 2015 all four doors were/are only working with the remote about 1 out of 10 times. But my driver side rear door now wasn't opening AT ALL. I took it back to the dealer, who was extremely courteous, and they gave me a written quote of $2,200 for the 4 door latches/agitators plus another $500.00 for the door that wouldn't open problem. So now I have a car worth about $8,500 with about 25-30% of its value in those door latches. The car was perfect for my size (6'4) and worked great when all of the current issues were not issues. In doing my research, it is difficult for me to believe that there hasn't been a recall on this problem since so many other people have had door latch/agitator problems with Ford Escapes. The dealership(s) (I have spoken to 2 certified Ford Dealerships in the process) have NEVER seen all 4 door latches go. The fact that they occasionally work tells me that it could be another issue but the dealership is pretty confident that it is the agitator. Hopefully a recall becomes available in the near future or I may be forced to trade this car in rather than put out so much money for such a seemingly minor issue. I may be better off selling off parts since they apparently carry way more value than a traditional trade-in.

Tranny Troubles
By winter_driver

2010 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Bought new. Exactly the kind of vehicle I needed...big windows, AWD, fuel efficient, cargo space...just right for my cold climate. With the stock all-season tires, the traction was good year-round. In my snowy/icy winter climate, I've added winter tires and the thing is a beast in snow; it really shines here.

The 4-banger is fine around the city though it's a slow accelerator off the line and when merging into traffic. V6 was probably a better choice. Gas mileage is OK. The small engine and the vehicle's brick shape has it struggling at Interstate speeds and against headwinds. In the summer, with a light foot, you can get to close the EPA mileage estimates. In cold winter and snowy conditions, the mileage drops way off, though that's normal for most vehicles.

1st problem right away was a vibration at about 50 mph. Turned out to be an unbalanced drive shaft, which the dealer promptly corrected. Lots of tranny problems. Rebuilt after 3-years. Problems returned less than a year later. Rebuilt again before being replaced altogether (still under warranty). Lots of similar stories online. When it works, I really like it, but deep down, I have little faith left in the vehicle...though it's still chugging away.