Used 2009 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Got a good SUV
By Bill

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the SUV because wife wanted to sit higher than a car. We tested every model we could think of and kept coming back to the Escape. I would recommend the Insync feature. Sun roof is fun. Nice and roomy. V6 provides all the power we need as we travel over mountains. Average MPG highway is 28. In town 20. Would like rear disc breaks. Got stuck in snow a motel parking lot during Christmas blizzard and the was unable to rock to get out but on the snowy icy road very stable and safe.

Insync and Sirius radio. V6 engine

Rear wheel disc brakes.

Much better than a car
By hammer

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I drove the Escape locally and short highway rides for the first 1000 miles to break it in. Then we took a driving vacation from Chicago to Denver and back. What a dream vehicle to travel in. Four adults rode in this vehicle comfortably for 2800 miles. We really love this suv. We bought the XLT with leather and the sirius satelite system. Nice ride.

My wife and I really like the fact that you sit up higher in this suv. We were comparing this to the Subaru Forester we were also looking at. The Escape won out with more options for the dollar, with both cars being equally comparable in safety and other features. FORD rocks! So do the 17" rims.

My only complaint was when I first looked at the sales lot of Escapes, I noticed wires hanging down by the passenger rear wheel. And that I could see the muffler close to the rear tire.

Excelent SUV!
By Holly

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Just got this car a couple days ago and I am LOVING IT! wouldnt trade it for anything! except maybe one with 4WD..lol. ALL IN ALL GREAT!

Heated Leather seats! SYNC! EVERYTHING!

I would like to have 4WD BUT wouldn't use it enough to make it worth the extra cost. So No improvements suggested yet!

Satisfied so far
By Renegade21

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I wanted a SUV for utility but didn't want to sacrifice much on MPG. I get about 24/27mpg (city/hwy) and probably average about 25 overall. The Escape is fun to drive and pretty comfortable. I'm glad I went with the 6 cylinder. It has pretty good pickup but struggles initially. Handling is pretty nimble for an SUV. Get the Sync system! I love controlling my iPod and phone by voice. Overall a great SUV that I've enjoyed so far and haven't had any problems with. (about 7500 miles driven so far)

Sync system, auto headlights, key pad entry, chrome grill, system computer that gives you gas, oil, and other info

Braking... You really have to step on the brake early if coming in fast to a light.

Buyer Beware
By Gatorpit

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Our Escape makes a Hoot noise when accelerating from a stop. The Noise is loud and annoying. Not all Escapes make this noise. Ford acknowleges the noise but it is not a safety issue so they are going to fix it. I am disappointed with there attitude and after my 5th new Ford it is going to be my last. It is unfortunate that manufactures are allowed to get away with this. Make sure you thoroughly test and inspect your vehicle before taking a delivery or you will get stuck with it like I did.

Own up to problems with a new vehicle.