Used 2009 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Good so far.
By texaschemist

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Escape used in June 2010.The Escape handles and accelerates well and has an overall powerful feeling. It was after 2 months of routine driving that I noticed the first problems. The transmission would hesitate when accelerating from a stop and jerk into gear. There was no noise and afterward the transmission was smooth. When it started doing this while making left turns through 4-way stops I decided to take it in and have it looked at. Turns out the transmission was failing to downshift from 2nd to 1st quick enough. A technical bulletin fixed this. I've also noticed that my MPG in winter are much worse than summer (2-4 mpg). Otherwise its a great SUV for the value.

Excellent 4WD response. Great in snow and rain. Quick acceleration. Aesthetic value. Turning and handling responsivness.

Transmission leaves something to be desired. Improved computer control of downshifting and accelerator response time. Glare on the instrument panel during certain afternoon hours. Engine noise is kind of loud, but radio drowns it out.

Satisfied 1.5 Years Later
By Ray

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in July 2009, drove 1000 miles to break-in before a trip from Pittsburgh to Oregon. Very comfortable ride for 2 people over a week and a half. Highway gas mileage was 28-32 mpg. Still average 25-30 mpg with my rural driving. Would have liked AWD with a manual tranny, but the one time I drove on an untreated, snow-covered road (~1") the FWD did fine with factory tires. Also glad I went with the stick once I heard stories about the 6-speed auto. No problems with my vehicle 17,000 miles, 1.5 years later. Rides well, though the body pitches up/down excessively when applying power or braking (making smooth uphill stops/starts difficult).

Lots of storage spaces (huge, deep center console, and wet trunk option is handy for containing small, loose, dry things too), lots of room around the 4-cylinder engine. Roof rails allowed Thule racks to be added to carry a canoe or kayak. Rear seats have good leg room for a small SUV.

Clutch is touchy, would have liked a 6-speed manual (or get 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears closer together and 5th further out), plastic interior panels sometimes rub and squeak, small glove box & no light, could use tie-downs in cargo area and more hard metal on front and rear to tie things like canoes to.

2009 Sangri Ford Escape AWD V6 update
By bjc

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After 11,000 miles have had to take the vehicle back to the dealer because they fouled up the brakes. Took it in for an oil change and mentioned funny noise when decelerating and ended up going back 5 times because the brakes weren't right. Now I am returning 10-12-2010 because of an oil leak on the drivers side of vehicle. Dealer says oil filter on passenger side so not sure what is leaking, sure hope not transmission. I am 2nd guessing myself now for buying a Ford and wonder how many more times I will be in the service department with it.

Sync, V6 engine

Build quality and mechanical components, get rid of plastics in vehicle.

After One Year of Ownership
By mjm87

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2009 Ford Escape XLT AWD in June of 2009. Ever since then, I have enjoyed every minute being in my Escape. The visibility of the Escape is excellent, the 4 cylinder engine puts out plenty of horsepower to get you where you need to go, the 6-speed transmission shifts smoothly, it is easy to park, and has some of the best technology compared to any vehicle on the road. It has been to dealership once for a PCM flash for the transmission's occasional hard shifting from drive to reverse. That problem has gone away and the vehicle shifts much better than before. The SYNC system is outstanding and I personally find the AC unit to be one of the best I have ever experienced. Great buy

SYNC, Cargo Room, Size. Overall this is a great vehicle.

Glove box is a little small and has no light.

Check your transmission
By Dana

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In the beginning of the year I purchased a used 2009 Ford Escape from the Ford Dealership with 23,000 miles on it. About a week later I was on the highway and the rpm started racing and car wouldn't accelerate. Ended up bringing truck back to dealer because it happened a few times and was so unsafe. I hadn't made my first truck payment yet and they adv me I needed a new tranny. After doing online research there are a TON of people who had the same prob, while there is no official recall BE AWARE it is a widespread issue. It took 6 weeks to get the new tranny because they were back ordered. The truck is great now, but it really destroyed my confidence in the purchase. Guess it's mine now.

The interior and exterior parts of the car look great. The mechanical problems w the vehicle are the problem.

UMMM Fix the Transmission problem. Is it that hard to come out with a quality product? You don't charge any less. If i wanted to have mechanical issues I could have gotten a way better deal on A TOYOTA right about now.