Used 2009 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

2009 Escape Limited a problem
By steve_r2

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Since taking ownership of this vehicle and 50,000 miles later this Ford Escape has over 12,000 dollars of repairs and that includes labor. Three and a half transmission and a rebuild motor within the first 40,000 miles. Overall I like the vheicle but I've lost confidence in Ford motor company.
I bought this vehicle to support the american auto industry and Ford because they refused Obama hand out. I continues to have problem on a mouthly basis. Who wants a lemon?

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By jolietjake

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My 2009 Ford Escape has been plagued with transmission issues for a year and a half now.
I experience shift flares, hard and harsh shifting, and even times when it can't shift out of first gear.
It will also frequently slam into gear when going from P to D or R, causing the entire car to shack violently until banging into gear.
After the TSB updates, i get much worse gas milage and the tranny issues have increased.
Now i get hesitation in acceleration when coasting or yielding and pressing the accelerator.
It's extremely dangerous when making a left hand turn and the car is unresponsive for a few seconds.
I have almost had 5 accidents due to this.
This car is extremely unsafe.

Body Design, comfort of seats, handling are all good.

The 6F35 Transmission is awful. The plastic in the interior scratches too easily. The driver seat vibrates when idling at a stop. The windows have become scratched and when rolling them down you hear a grinding noise. The steering wheel has a high pitch squeak when turning left or right. I cannot get my dealer or Ford to help in getting my transmission fixed either.

Good so far.
By texaschemist

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Escape used in June 2010.The Escape handles and accelerates well and has an overall powerful feeling. It was after 2 months of routine driving that I noticed the first problems. The transmission would hesitate when accelerating from a stop and jerk into gear. There was no noise and afterward the transmission was smooth. When it started doing this while making left turns through 4-way stops I decided to take it in and have it looked at. Turns out the transmission was failing to downshift from 2nd to 1st quick enough. A technical bulletin fixed this. I've also noticed that my MPG in winter are much worse than summer (2-4 mpg). Otherwise its a great SUV for the value.

Excellent 4WD response. Great in snow and rain. Quick acceleration. Aesthetic value. Turning and handling responsivness.

Transmission leaves something to be desired. Improved computer control of downshifting and accelerator response time. Glare on the instrument panel during certain afternoon hours. Engine noise is kind of loud, but radio drowns it out.

Satisfied 1.5 Years Later
By Ray

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in July 2009, drove 1000 miles to break-in before a trip from Pittsburgh to Oregon. Very comfortable ride for 2 people over a week and a half. Highway gas mileage was 28-32 mpg. Still average 25-30 mpg with my rural driving. Would have liked AWD with a manual tranny, but the one time I drove on an untreated, snow-covered road (~1") the FWD did fine with factory tires. Also glad I went with the stick once I heard stories about the 6-speed auto. No problems with my vehicle 17,000 miles, 1.5 years later. Rides well, though the body pitches up/down excessively when applying power or braking (making smooth uphill stops/starts difficult).

Lots of storage spaces (huge, deep center console, and wet trunk option is handy for containing small, loose, dry things too), lots of room around the 4-cylinder engine. Roof rails allowed Thule racks to be added to carry a canoe or kayak. Rear seats have good leg room for a small SUV.

Clutch is touchy, would have liked a 6-speed manual (or get 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears closer together and 5th further out), plastic interior panels sometimes rub and squeak, small glove box & no light, could use tie-downs in cargo area and more hard metal on front and rear to tie things like canoes to.

2009 Sangri Ford Escape AWD V6 update
By bjc

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After 11,000 miles have had to take the vehicle back to the dealer because they fouled up the brakes. Took it in for an oil change and mentioned funny noise when decelerating and ended up going back 5 times because the brakes weren't right. Now I am returning 10-12-2010 because of an oil leak on the drivers side of vehicle. Dealer says oil filter on passenger side so not sure what is leaking, sure hope not transmission. I am 2nd guessing myself now for buying a Ford and wonder how many more times I will be in the service department with it.

Sync, V6 engine

Build quality and mechanical components, get rid of plastics in vehicle.