Used 2009 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Too many breakdowns!
By nthernlgts

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle new in the summer of 2009.
About a month later the Transmission failed.
It took a month and a half to repair because of back ordered parts.
After the rebuild, the shift pattern was messed up and had to go back for reprogramming.
This was all within 15,000 miles and covered by warranty.
After warranty, the a/c condenser failed.
$900 there.
Then the power steering unit failed.
This isn't a standard power steering unit either.
In other words, $1400 more.
I've also had some sort of an mid shaft axle support bearing fail. $400 more.
All in all, I have put nearly $3000 in repairs into a 3-1/2 year old vehicle. Way too many mechanical failures. I'm done with Escapes

Sync system is great, USB access, large sunroof.

Get a better Tranny and power steering unit.... PLEASE.

Comfortable fun, but........
By thvillebear

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the 2009 Escape as a replacement for our 1998 F150 that was super reliable. The Escape is comfortable and the V6 is powerful and economical delivering about 22 in mixed driving.
However quality leaves much to be desired, the transmission started leaking right before the warranty expired and was fixed under warranty. The throttle body failed at 44000, costing 400 to replace I might mention out of all the cars I have owned I have never ever had a throttle body fail!
I really question our decision to buy the Escape and curious as to what other problems will surface, I will be hesitant to buy another Ford.

Sync, 4WD. It has all the bells and whistles!

Quality, better fuel system and better transmission!

Looks Great and Very Reliable!
By russter

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My 09 Escape has far exceeded what I expected.
Unlike the review, this is a very reliable SUV, no problems at all through 50K+ miles, good pickup when I need it, average 22 to 23 MPG, (actually tracked via receipts) despite pulling a trailer quite often.
Had a front and rear end wreck, not my fault, the car behind was totalled, the truck in front was damaged, my Escape got new bumpers and lights and some body work!
It's quiet inside, unlike my just traded in Honda Pilot. Engine has a perfect sound when you floor it otherwise, it has a understated gentle purr that I like.
The 2nd. row is much easier to fold down than Edmunds would have you believe, and, it's made in K.C., MO, USA!

Looks, reliability, solid construction, American made, best red color in the industry, Sync, MPG, low purchase price, towing package

Easier to use SYNC.

Greatest vehicle made!!
By fordguy54

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

excellent ride, very powerfull, looks sporty! this is a great vehicle made by ford! dont let the transmision problems scare you away from this great vehicle. ive had mine since new and have never had a single problem with it! ive checked into it also, and if you have a problem with your tranny more then likely it will be covered under factory warranty(not sure why people are complaining). dont waste your time with a chevy equinox, dodge nitro, or toyota rav4. this vehicle is the nicest for the money. and the most powerful as well. i had a 2010 didge nitro and traded it for this 2009 ford escape. gas mileage is awesome. if u wanna have problems buy a dodge nitro.

sync, moon & toon package. leather heated seats. towing capacity.

ford did everything right.

Transmission Problem
By smishra

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I was fine it till the transmission died at 36200 miles.
Fortunately I had bought extended warranty.
I fixed it at the dealer and it still giving me troubles.
I still see sudden gear change at low speeds.

Do not know how much time this fixing will last, but I am always scared to take my family on a drive on this one.

So Pros:
1. Ample of cargo space
2. Feels sturdy
3. Nice seats
4. Very fule efficient
5. Love the SYNC, I hooked up an external hard drive to this. It recongnizes and plays all my music.

Cons:
1. Unreliable transmission
2. Interior is not nice - pretty cheap plastic
3. Very noisy - I reckon being an I4 engine it will be noisy, but it is a litle too much.

SYNC

1. Better Transmission design and calibration 2. More stramlined body 3. Train exhaust engineers to do a better job for NVH.