Used 2009 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great electronics
By Russ Page

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Best hands free phone set up seen, far superior to Toyota 2011 avalon. Cruise control on steering wheel also more intuitive than other cars.

Best Suv I have ever had
By Randy

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car/SUV is very good. I now have 152k on it, besides brakes, tires and battery (normal maintenance Stuff), I have only had to replace the intake gasket, like 10 bucks for parts, and RF wheel hub bearing. Also Stabilizer control arms, about 23 bucks a piece. I did have a serious rattle that drove me crazy, took months to find out what it was, It was the License Plate Bracket. My fault. I test drove a new 2015, great car, lower gas mileage because it was AWD, But I did not like the interior.

It drives forever
By Elijah Meadows

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My friend got a new car and let me use his 2009 ford escape until I could get a car of my own. It had about 199,000 miles on it when I took over. It wasn't too much longer until the power steering malfunctioned. There was a recall on them apparently but my VIN wasn't included when I called Ford. It made it hard to turn the wheel and especially hard to get in and out of parking spots at grocery stores and such. It's about $700+ to fix the problem. It's at 220,000k miles now and still runs great. Has an oil leak. Had to replace the wheel bearing, brakes and battery in the last year. Other than that it's a great car. Take care of it and keep the oil changed

6 years and going strong
By Texas Chemist

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my Escape used in Sep 2010 to replace my 98 Grand Prix. These are the only two vehicles I've ever owned and I've been driving 15 years. The Escape is a challenge to rate for two main reasons: It is extremely reliable, has almost no mechanical issues, is smooth and fluid on the road and provides almost everything I need as far as cargo and transportation goes. On the other hand, it is uncomfortable to sit in. I mean, the seats are not good. In 6 years I've yet to get the seat/steering position perfect. My legs get cramped up or my back starts to hurt a little after only 20 minutes of driving. But this thing is so smooth and nice on the road, the road noise is low (compared to my wife's Civic which is ridiculously loud), and the steering is so soft and fluid you can control the the vehicle with a single finger. Other than some pretty stupid interior design (center stack mainly) and cheap materials, as well as an occasionally jerky transmission the vehicle is near perfect.

Pros:
- Extremely reliable
- Drives very well
- Easy to control
- Excellent in snow/ice/rain
- Great exterior styling

Cons:
- Jerky transmission when starting from a stop
- Horrible interior stying/center stack design
- Cheap plastic materials inside
- Very uncomfortable seats
- Lack of telescoping steering

No more Ford products
By cmrakers

2009 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, I've been a Ford supporter for 40+ years, all the while enduring the Chevy, Toyota, Honda owners snide comments. As of todayI'll never buy another Ford.

First, the 1998 F150 XLT airconditioning and electrical system began failing at 40k miles (I didn't keep track of how much those repairs cost) so at 80k I finally traded that in for the 2009 Escape. The first Escape under warrenty transmission was installed in 2012, and now at 77k miles I'm faced with another failed transmission. Included in the decision NOT TO BUY FORD is the fact that this Escape cost me about $900 in repairs every freaking year since hitting the 36k warranty mark (sometime in 2013), and I'm good to my vehicles--regular maintenance, don't drive like a maniac. The new tires will outlast the engine/transmission and that's freaking sad and not cost effective. I'm switching to Honda or Toyota. Ok, Edmunds wanted an update so March 2017 here it is: The Escape is on "break down maintenance" so when a major failure occurs it can be dragged off to the junk yard. I spent over $1200 last year (mostly to a Ford dealer repair shop) trying to keep up with failures e.g., engine light on, swing arm repairs (again). Last month the engine light came back on, the air blower only works on "high" or 4 (that was repaired 2 years ago), it needs another alignment, supposedly because the struts are failing, and on and on and on. I could put another $1500 in 1 repair bill. It has 83k miles now. It won't pass NY state inspection with the check engine light on. Really, I've had every code checked and all repairs made by 2 different garages. Also, two replacement parts failed. Fun for me to not have a vehicle for two days.