Used 2009 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Very Happy With Decision To Buy Ford
By Doris G.

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first suv and the only difference i noticed from driving the car was I sat taller and the passing power in the truck felt a little slower. Other than that I love this vehicle. The handle and braking is great, the ride and turns are smooth, the gas tank and mileage are the same and my previous car, and the look is so versatile that I feel so feminine just being next to it, yet when I see a man in it, the look it totally masculine. The only thing I wish my car had is the new "Ford" front grill.

The voice activated navigation. I'm always running late for everything and it's great to get directions while you are on the go. I have not even tried to program any directions yet. The sync phone system is very nice too.

With navigation system, only 1 cd can be installed. It would be very nice if you could get the 6 cd system along with the navigation.

My First Car
By Gregg

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Well after i got my license, my parents decided to buy me a car. We looked at Chevy and Ford, and since i wanted an SUV but didn't want to pay $90 at the pump like my dad's old 07 jeep commander (now has an '09 maxima) we decided on the Escape. My Mom wanted great Safety scores, which the Escape has, so there's another plus. I enjoy driving this car, the power steering and the ease of controlling the wheel is a joy. The car just feels good and solid throughout. I am very satisfied with my first car.

I basically forced my parents to throw in the Moon and Tune package, and i love Sync and my sunroof. Sync is reliable most of the time for me and the remote start is also very convenient. Back to Sync, I highly advise to get sync with any Ford, one of the best things about the car.

Probably only my car, but, my front seats are stained, but i never spilled anything on them and my passenger window squeaks VERY loudly, had the car only 3 months so i am taking it back to ford to have it checked. Engine is slightly low but it can easily and quickly make it to 90 anyway.

Wife's new best friend
By RHunt

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After 6 months of research and numerous test drives, it was love at first drive. Handles extremely well with great visibility and surprising power from the 240hp 3 liter. The 6 speed transmission took a little getting used to with near seamless shifting. We've experienced around 20mpg in town and 27mpg on the highway. Nicely laid out with leather interior and chrome accents, ambient floor lighting and the Sync system which in my opinion, is a must for anyone who owns a cell phone. I have not doubt that "the boss" will be enjoying her SUV for a very long time!

Sync system, sun roof, power seats, and information center.

Emergency brake easy to accidentally engage when entering vehicle. An inch or two further under the dash would take care of that.

I Love It!!
By happyfordowner

2009 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Escape (we named her Carly) for about 6 mo. and I am very happy. I love to drive it. I have the Sun n' Sync package and I love having a sun roof, sirrus radio/cd/am/fm/aux jack. I also like the USB port. I avg. 26 mpg mixed city/hwy driving which is pretty good for a V6 SUV. I like the sporty look and feel as well. Very comfortable to drive, all ready took it on a 1200 mi roundtrip vacation with my husband and 2 kids. Very roomy and comfy. I added heated seats and remote start for cold WI winters. The seats fold down and is great for 2 black labs - wish the back windows opened for venting. The dogs would like that too! All around I am very happy!! Love my Escape!

Sync, sun roof, heated seats (added) remote start (added). Fun to drive.

The glove box is small and in a bad place, hits your knees when you open it. People have a heard time hearing when using bluetooth. Some of the buttons are in a strange place that is hard to reach when you are driving (the info, reset, buttons.) Sometimes it takes a minute for it to shift gears.

Great small SUV
By Escape_Fan

2009 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

In June I purchased a 2009 Escape XLT AWD with the 4cyl engine. I have been waiting to write a review until I had driven it for a while. I live in the Boston area. I have taken my Escape on vacations to Cape Cod and to Acadia National Park in Maine. Commuting to work I average 24mpg, while on the highway I get 28mpg. I love my Escape except for one thing. The 4cyl engine is too noisy for me, especially when accelerating. Once up to cruising speed, the Escape is remarkably quiet. Also, while peppy, the 4cyl really struggled climbing the hills of Maine, especially with the AC on. If I could go back and buy my Escape again, I would get the 6cyl FWD which has the same combined mpg as 4cyl AWD.

Sync, center console, radio quality, USB port, Sirius radio (when I don't lose its signal), MPG

Although the new 4cyl is an improvement over the previous 4cyl, it needs to be quieter and have less vibration especially with the AC on.