Used 2009 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

I Love It!!
By happyfordowner

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Escape (we named her Carly) for about 6 mo. and I am very happy. I love to drive it. I have the Sun n' Sync package and I love having a sun roof, sirrus radio/cd/am/fm/aux jack. I also like the USB port. I avg. 26 mpg mixed city/hwy driving which is pretty good for a V6 SUV. I like the sporty look and feel as well. Very comfortable to drive, all ready took it on a 1200 mi roundtrip vacation with my husband and 2 kids. Very roomy and comfy. I added heated seats and remote start for cold WI winters. The seats fold down and is great for 2 black labs - wish the back windows opened for venting. The dogs would like that too! All around I am very happy!! Love my Escape!

Sync, sun roof, heated seats (added) remote start (added). Fun to drive.

The glove box is small and in a bad place, hits your knees when you open it. People have a heard time hearing when using bluetooth. Some of the buttons are in a strange place that is hard to reach when you are driving (the info, reset, buttons.) Sometimes it takes a minute for it to shift gears.

Great small SUV
By Escape_Fan

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

In June I purchased a 2009 Escape XLT AWD with the 4cyl engine. I have been waiting to write a review until I had driven it for a while. I live in the Boston area. I have taken my Escape on vacations to Cape Cod and to Acadia National Park in Maine. Commuting to work I average 24mpg, while on the highway I get 28mpg. I love my Escape except for one thing. The 4cyl engine is too noisy for me, especially when accelerating. Once up to cruising speed, the Escape is remarkably quiet. Also, while peppy, the 4cyl really struggled climbing the hills of Maine, especially with the AC on. If I could go back and buy my Escape again, I would get the 6cyl FWD which has the same combined mpg as 4cyl AWD.

Sync, center console, radio quality, USB port, Sirius radio (when I don't lose its signal), MPG

Although the new 4cyl is an improvement over the previous 4cyl, it needs to be quieter and have less vibration especially with the AC on.

Some disappointment
By GVLIVING

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Thought I'd wait a few months before reviewing. I do like the Escape but it does have flaws. Tan interior dash looks great but causes so much glare your eyes get tired on a lengthy trip. Should have black upper part like most autos. Also glare on tach/speedometer plastic at certain times of day. Seats are fairly comfortable even though there is no lumbar support offered. Surprised about that. Transmission gives off a hoot or whoot everytime you start off. Common problem on forums. There is a vibration somewhere in the dash directly in front of the driver. It cannot be located and on many occasions drives me nuts. Wish I had done more research on the Ford Escape forums before buying.

Peppy. Large windows and windshield for great visibility. Good gas mileage. Gets approx. 25 plus mpg.

Redesign dash to limit glare. Quality could be improved a couple of notches. Come on how about a lumbar support.

My First Ford
By Robert

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the car for 3 weeks now and nothing to concerning. As most people I did all the research I could. What drew me to this car was its changes from 08-09 all pointing to better gas mileage and better outside design on the front end. I have been very pleased with so far an 24-25MPG City average with 240hp V6-not bad. I with being my first ford the initial quality appears to be impressive, I hope I am saying the same thing 5 years later. My only concern as others have noticed is a good deal of plastic with the interior-but this was not enough of an issue to keep from buying the Escape.

I really liked the new front end design, new engine, new transition from the 08 model better MPG. Ford also has intergraded technology very nice into their lineups.

Better interior build and quality (less plastic)-currently is not horrible but worth a few upgrades. Also, more interior color options dark is too dark and light to too light. Currently have dark and you notice everything.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Roy C

2009 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have purchased Chrysler products for years, most recently a 300 C. I'm so glad I switched to Ford. I had a 2009 Flex AWD Limited that I loved, but due to the uncertainty of the economy, I took a proactive approach and "down sized" my ride. I was so impressed with the quality of the Flex, I stayed with Ford and went with the more economical Escape Limited. What a pleasant surprise...I bought it from a dealer that was 75 miles from my home and on the way home it was already averaging 28.5 mpg! The ride and handling are good, the engine is more responsive and the radio is better than I expected. It's not the Flex by any means...but @ $14,000 less it's a great car.

Sync, handling, keyless entry

Nothing. For the money you can't go wrong.