Used 2009 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Best choice for mid-size SUV AWD
By Carole

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I read reviews, test drove 15 different, checked out 10 dealers. Hands down the Ford Escape was the best deal for us. The RAV 4 is way overpriced, seats very uncomfortable. We couldn't imagine what agony a long trip would be. Same with everything else we drove. We've logged 5900 miles in 3.5 months. There's not much we don't like other than the gas mileage & the paint surface is already scratched. Lowering the back seats does require getting used to & the position of the arm rest/console could be moved forward for easier access. Glove box useless. Winter weather will determine if the love affair continues.

Good visibility, lots of cargo room and roof rack.

Better gas mileage and practical floor mats/cargo mats. We have the upgraded cloth upholstery but find the floor carpet cheap. Bought a padded cargo protector from a pet store for $50--works great.

Second vehicle for work
By Randy

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted something like a station wagon, that I did not have to step down into, and did not want all wheel drive. So far the vehicle has performed well, achieving 30 miles to the Cdn. gallon city, and 40 Cdn. Hwy. Five spd a little tricky at first,a taller 5th gear would be appreciated (2500 Rpm at 60 mph). Clutch is a tad heavy, black interior hard to keep clean. Growls during acceleration but quiets down. Some wind noise at hwy speeds or cross winds.I wish they would seal the seams on the body work like Toyota does to prevent salt accumulation. Wife loves it.

Practicality of a station wagon, able to get a 5spd fwd model like this in Canada. Lots of standard options. The final price with all the various incentives I was able to combine brought the price down to a used Toyota Matrix/ Pontiac Vibe.

Taller 5th gear,smoother throws for the transmition, reduce the acceleration growl (sounds cheep), seal the seams on the body work like Toyota,

Good solid suv
By Tony

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The Ford Escape I own is fun to drive. I drive both city and highway and avg. 23.08 MPG. I found this SUV to have all the room I need. I can seat 5 people with comfort. Great sound system, good air, sun roof is easy to operate as well as all other systems and controls.

Sun roof.

The only item I would replace is the speedometer. The graduations are difficult to read. The numbers are 10,20,30,40,50,Etc. While on roadways with a 45, 55, or 65 mph limit it's difficult to see. the numbers could be bigger and have 5 mph settings.

Great SUV
By DQuinones

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am telling Ford did a wonderful job with this one. Its a great Suv from top to bottom. Handles very well, comfortable and fun to drive. I was always skeptical buying a Ford. This is my first Ford and I am so glad it was this one. I test drove a lot of suv's in this class and nothing compared. Looking for a suv that handles like a car, looks good and extremelly comfortable than this is the one. Highly recommended!

Sync,Great legroom and cargo space

Heated side-view mirrors.

So Disappointed!!
By Oroville2

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Loved my last 2 explorers, wanted better economy and all the tech stuff the Escape offered. It is back in the shop for the second time in one week for a problem with the transmission disengaging while driving on the freeway. Pulled over and would not go over 10 mph. Very scary!! Said it needed computer update, but did it again 6 days later.Not sure about Ford quality anymore.

SYNC, good visibility, no blind spot, the way the back seats fold down and the Gas mileage

Make sure ALL computer updates are ran before cars are sold. better lumbar support.