Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 221 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Dangerous & Defective Transmission!
By tdd281

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first and LAST FORD. Ever. I was so in love with my new spunky Ford Escape, I got all the bells and whistles, paid 24 grand for this model..

I noticed that my car was rusting prematurely...not on on the outside, but the inside as well underneath my seats. In fact the bars that hold my seats to the car are rusting.

At 107k miles, my transmission malfunctioned causing my car to shake violently, and accelerate on its own, now I have to buy a new trans at 3 grand. On top of it I could of been seriously hurt, since my car seat is rusting away from the base of the care. FORD DID NOTHING. SO I launched a complaint against them. LAST FORD I EVER BUY. EVER>

Transmission Cooler - Again!
By lacynic

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Ford Escape in Jan 2009 used. I never had a problem with it until Nov 2011 when I had to pay $900 for a new transmission cooler. Come to find out Ford had a recall on this until Aug 2010 and I was never notified! After calling Ford repeatedly they were no help at all!
Today is Jan 17, 2012 - my car is back in the shop for the same problem!
Way to go Ford for backing up their customers! Last Ford I will own. Getting it fixed and selling it for a different brand!

The seats are made of recycled bottles and stain like crazy. Fix the seats and fix the transmission cooler. Back up your customers!

Transmission cooler
By jackdk

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After doing tons of research on line about the trans cooler defect, I see this has happened to 100's if not 1000's of people that owned 2008 Escapes. I was told Ford did do some repairs on these cars that where built early 2008, and that the CSP (Customer Satisfaction Program) expired in August 2010. My Escape was built in Sept. 2007, which should have covered it. Ford sent a CSP #09B10 to owners for a replacement because of the know defect to the cooler. Since I didn't not own the vehicle until November 2010, I had no idea of the problem, and since the original owner never took it in, I have to pay the price. Called Ford Customer Care, and both them, and the Ford dealer acknowledge the defect, but would not cover it. Since there is no recall, and the CSP is over, I had to pay $644.41 out of my pocket. This is ridicules I am paying for a defect that Ford knows about. They both told me to hold on to my receipt in case there is a recall I can get reimbursed I think this is the last Ford I will own....

Ford's GREAT idea of making the transmission cooler, and the A/C condenser all one piece. This adds a big price for the part. When your cooler needs changed the A/C Freon needs to be emptied, then fill again, which adds to the labor cost. Good thinking Ford! Even though this is connected to the drive train, and keeps your transmission from failing, its not a drive train part, and not cover cause its not internal. ...

Hopefully Ford does the right thing, and reimburses the customer for the mistake THEY made in the construction of the transmission cooler.

2008 FORD ESCAPE TRANSMISSION LEAK
By mjk13

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Ford has changed and the corporation is focused on $$$$$ and NOT the consumer.
Read reviews on the internet- they are EVERYWHERE.
I just got screwed by Ford on a recall that they will no longer honor.
Called Customer Service and they said to will cost $800.00!
READ before you buy.
I never would have said this before today, but I'm now looking at a Toyota or Nissan.
It's too bad Ford has gone the way and we are forced to buy non-American products.
FORD you should be ashamed of what you have turned into.

I have owned a Ford for the last 12 years. I purchased a new 1999 F150 4X4, a new 2006 F150 Supercab and the 2008 Escape. I have recenly learned that Ford no longer is honorable and will not stand by their vehicles. Read Ford reviews first. I have ALWAYS bought American vehicles before and I hope to find a nice Chevy. I called my Father in Law and discussed it with him. He worked for Ford for alomost 40years. He replyed that, thats not how Ford used to be. Please do your research. Ford Customer Service is no longer geared to assist the consumer. It's all about the $$$$ to them. Read before you buy. Be careful dealing with Ford.

WARNING ****DO NOT BUY A FORD!!!***** They will not stand behind their product. They hide "recalls" inside what they refer to as "Customer Satisfaction Programs". They admitted that the part installed (transmision fluid cooler) was defective. Program 09B10 was deployed but if you miss it, for what ever reason, you lose- even though they admit the part is defective. To have it fixed-$800.00. I called all the way up to Ford Corp. 1-800-392-3673 and they also admitted that it doesn't seem fair but the Customer Satidfaction Program for that part is over. Non-American, Warning ***DO NOT BUY A FORD!! Please search the internet to verify the information!

Best car I've ever owned!
By winters87

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was NOT a ford fan, at all!
After bad experiences with my mustang & f250, my husband & I swore we would never buy another ford again...we were both Chevy fans & still am.
But once I test drove my escape, I had to have it
Although I wasnt a fan of the automatic computer controlled 4x4, it does awesome in the snow!
I've had a mustang, camaro, chevy tahoe, multiple chevy trucks, ford f250, multiple saturn cars & multiple honda accords & i would MUCH rather drive my escape than any vehicle I've ever owned!!

the reliability, the fold down into the floor back seats - I haul things all the time in it - including my big dogs :)

Interior that does not stain (even with water) :(