Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 221 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Ford XLT
By csylv

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Escape used a year ago. Yes it had the faulty transmission pump already replaced.
It is definitely not the most comfortable ride on the highway. My butt usually goes numb, but in-city driving is easy. The seat is powered on the driver's side helping me gain some more height (I'm only 5'6 making seeing over the steering wheel difficult in large vehicles). The controls are easy to figure out and are large enough that my monkey fingers can get control. This version does lack the Ford Sync of the newer vehicles but still has an audio jack. In town handling is easy but at higher speeds it is a bit of a challenge but has the stability control to help you out.

My favorite aspects are the power driver seat, sun roof, CD player and audio jack, plenty of space in the back to carry large items. I also like the in-town handling. It is still easy for me to maneuver around other vehicles and stop and go easily. I'm not too worried about the back seat because most of the time I am by myself.

Improved long distance traveling comfort. The seats are hard and do cause a bit of a problem. The road noise inside is really loud on long drives as well. I would like to see more air vents to cool/ heat the vehicle since there are only 4 in the front of my Escape. I would also like to see the parking brake moved up since I have a difficult time reaching it. Reconfiguring the back seat not to have the 3 head rests. I no longer have the center one which is okay because I would not be able to see behind me.

Okay, Rather have something else
By chewetson825

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new in 2008 and has been a love-hate experience. The car is absolutely AWFUL on the highway, but fantastic in the snow. If we had to buy another small SUV again, i would probably go for the Honda CRV instead.

The interior on this car is very nice. There are a lot of buttons on the dashboard that light up with a soft blue color when you turn the lights on. This car is also amazing in the snow. Living in West Virginia, we get quite a bit of snow on our hilly country roads, but this car has never got stuck once. It really is very good in the winter.

The cruise control in the car has a mind of its own. Set the speed at 70 on a flat piece of road and you'll be doing 55 up a hill and 85 down one. If you try to speed up or slow down, you hold the button down for what seems like an eternity before anything happens. The fuel consumption is very bad too. Sure, we got the 3.0 v6, but it is so underpowered i don't think we could live with the 4 cylinder. Worst of all though, is the transmission. From day one, it clunks HORRIBLY if you go down a hill and it shifts down. Because of these things the only time i ever drive this car anymore is if it's snowing.

Accelerator cable broke while driving!
By disappointed58

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had a very disturbing incident happen with my 2008 Escape today that still has me shaken up!
My accelerator completely broke while merging into traffic on the highway! The gas pedal fell to the floor and the car wouldn't accelerate. I had 10 seconds to figure out what was going on, quickly applied my brakes and landed in the median, with 2 lanes of hwy traffic going 70 MPH next to me. When my car was towed to the dealership, they informed me that the accelerator cable broke and I would owe $240. I was so upset and called the Cust. Serv. Dept and they did nothing! I could have been hit by a tractor trailer with my kids in the car and FORD DID NOTHING! I'm so furious and scared to drive it!

I wanted an Escape for so long, bought one in 2008 and have been completed disappointed since then. I have had it for less than 4 years and the cloth seats are now terrribly stained from the rain, my back window leaks, my interior seat bolts are rusting, the windshield seal is lifting away from the window, the gas tank won't accept gas without stopping 20 times, and now the accelerator cable broke while driving which makes me livid that no one at Ford seems to really care that I could have been hit from behind by a tractor trailer going 70 MPH because I couldn't accelerate to get out of the way. I thank God for my angels today and that I somehow managed to escape a potential fatality.

Make a safe, reliable, quality car for the amount of money you're selling them for! Improve your Customer Service! If I call crying hysterically because my family and I could have been killed because your accelerator cable broke on my car, have some sympathy and try to retify the situation, not charge me $240 because I didn't die. No one wanted to help me or seemed to care! I wanted to help Ford out when they were having problems, so I bought your car! Why would you put me in danger and not rectify the situation? Ford, I'm so upset today with your company. I don't want this car, nor will ever buy another one of your vehicles again. I am truly furious with how you handled this scary situation

waste of $$$$
By chaz20

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this '08 Escape Limited a year ago.
Big mistake!
Car had really bad ride & was terrible on gas (V6).
Tranny shifted hard especially going up/down hills.
There must have been a crickets nest in the dash because all it did was chirp constantly, especially when cold outside.
One side of dash vents blow hot/the other side cold.
Ford dealer doesn't care.
Basically tell you that how it is & how they are built.
Unbelieveable!
Traded for a CRV & was the best move we ever made!

Hire a Toyota, Hyundai, or Honda engineer!

Better than her Mercedes V8 SUV..by far!
By fordz4evr

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife had a 2000 Mercedes SUV...430 something or other. Nothing but problems. Accelerator module,seat problems, sunroof stuck open on vacation, check engine light etc, etc...
One day I said "this is it...we're going to the Ford dealer and trading this piece of junk" We walked into the showroom and I told her to pick any model she wanted...she wanted the Escape for it's size and maneuverability in traffic. Now, please understand that my wife was no Ford fan...she had a 58' which was junk and swore she'd never own another. She is now in love with her Escape. It's reliable, fun to drive and has incredible acceleration with the V6. When we get a new car, I'm taking hers.

Acceleration...better than my Explorer V6 Handling, driver visibility,moonroof convenient controls.

Seat covering material is junk. Supposedly "environmentally friendly recycled plastic...stains easy. Get seat covers or leather. Transmission cooler leaked...dealer fixed it at no charge and Ford gave my wife an extended warranty for her trouble.