Used 2008 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 223 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Dangerous
By roslynr

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

On May 24, 2013 while driving in the middle of a memorial day weekend rush hour traffic the lights came on in the dashboard and the suv, was not accelerating and just shut down , while trying to coast to the side of expressway this was impossible, I had to restart the truck. Once the suv restarted a short distance later it shut down
again forcing me off the expressway. Once I made it home I called the dealership who told me to contact ford and file a complaint. My truck is a 2008 ford escape. After this email I will contact the BBB , this is dangerous to myself and others in traffic. This is a law suite waiting to happen.

Great on gas

This is not the first time this has happen with these trucks. My son owens one and his did the same thing come find out his gas line came loose. Also by the reviews I read on line this has happen a number of times . Therefore time to contact news or whoever cares about this problem or consumers.

Stop Safely now
By josephcallendr

2008 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving my parents 2008 ford escape hybrid for the past 6 months twice i have had the problem where a lights comes on and on the dashboard it says to stop safely now and the engine huts off and i have to coast to the side of the road and turn the car on and off again it is really scary and not safe when that happens

great gas

TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAK FROM CONDENSER
By ashleyohio

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2008 had been diagnosed with a transmission fluid leak from the condenser on May 2 2013. I am 8 months out of my warranty and 10,000 miles under my warranty.

This is a $300-$800 repair.

The only way to get reimbursed for this issue is after a recall has been published. Only way to get a recall is for about 150,000 complaints to be filed. They must be filed through Ford (1-888-392-3673) and through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (888-327-4236).

It take 5-10 minutes for each of those calls and we are steps closer to a recall being issued.

08 Escape 4 cyl Auto Great MPGs for SUV! Very reliable
By dalebass3

2008 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our escape with 46k on it and have put 40k on it since.
It is a great vehicle for a small family.
We are about to have a second child so we are thinking about upsizing a little.
These old style boxy SUVs have more room than the newer crossovers I think.
Only problem we had was when there was a carbon build up on the throttle body that was making it hard to press the gas.
That was easily fixed with some carb cleaner.

An overall Great car
By j3rry

2008 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had this 2008 vehicle as a company car.
I was fortune enough to have no financial association with this vehicle.
I rode it hard, and put it away wet all the time.
I found that this vehicle stood up to my abuse extremely well.
I did have some problems with it.
warranty fixed most of them.
they replaced something that leaked (Can't remember what, sorry) and my acceleration pedal failed on me once around 15,000km.
This was repaired.

the AWD is fantastic. Can handle aggressive driving very well. in 2011, I had to get a new work car, and chose to get another escape. That in itself should indicate how I felt about the model.

I did have an odd transmission clunk occasionally when going into 2nd gear. I tried to tell the dealer about it, but they could never experience the problem. (In 2011 - I insisted that it was a problem, I had 180,000km on this car by then and it was a $3000 bill to repair). The changes to the tailgate and side mirrors in 2011 are very welcome improvements. The rear seat fold down needs improvement