Used 2008 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great crossover OK price
By lenny

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So far it's one of the better crossovers I've driven. Rides a little hard but if you want soft buy a car. MPG is excellent so far about 28 average (I drive about half and half city and highway with and without ac.) Lots of little storage pockets. Don't care for the light switch being down by my knee. Lots of room I'm 6,4" and a big guy and I'm comfortable. Radio buttons take some getting used to as do AC controls not bad just different. Wish I had gotten the 09 more power

Can't go wrong with this one!
By Pablo Suarez

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been in the automobile industry for over 30 years and after living in three continents and after owning Hillmans, Opels, Fiats, Citroëns, Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, Mopars (Chryslers), GMs, and Fords, I can say that this SUV is the most satisfying vehicle I have owned so far. It meets all my current needs almost perfectly. It is the right size for me, fit and finish are great, it is quiet, performance, for a 4 cyl SUV, is brilliant, it has all the right features and it averages 24 MPG in the city and 29 MPG in the highway. If you are on the market for a small SUV, go ahead and test drive them all, you cannot go wrong with this one!

Visibility, console, MP3 jack, great sound system, driving position, great all around!

It would be nice to have hand grips, return the emergency brake to the console (dislike the foot brake and release handle positions).

Gas Saving SUV
By Nette

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Trouble free so far in its first 2K miles and 12 hour trip to California. Perfect fit and function for an active family. Nice size cargo space and if needed roof rack is ready for extra cargo. The SUV is not a speed demon, but I have been averaging 28 MPG. I love the fact that I climb in and out the SUV vs. crawl in and out. Loading the baby into the car seat is comfortable since I can stay standing while I buckle him into his car seat. I would highly recommend my SUV to anyone.

I feel very safe traveling with my toddler with all the safety features (airbags, side airbags, canopy, ABS and carseat anchor points). Thanks for "Aux" radio connection for my iPod, walkman, and portable DVD player. Center console is huge and fits a notebook computer.

Head rest angles forward too much. Interior color is too light and shows dirt quickly, and color coordinated floor mats are hard to find. Needs a bigger glove box. Needs rear disc brakes.

Great MPG in a SUV
By Alan Koff

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It was time to look for a vehicle with better gas mileage while providing my first priority, roominess! My 2006 Grand Cherokee, my third, only got 15.5 MPG around town, about 75% of my driving. I need room and a hard rear floor for scuba tanks, coolers, spearguns, golf clubs, telescopes and, oh yeh, business samples. Also, I'm 6'3" and the new Ford Escape fit as well on me as my much thirstier Grand Cherokee. I mentioned I was looking for much improved mileage, so when I saw this Vista Blue 5-speed I said let's take a test-drive. A winner in terms of what I was looking for. Sold! My first tank averaged out to 22.8 MPG and I probably did only 20% highway. Very pleased.

Styling and value. Roominess and economy. Vista Blue, used to have an Electron Blue Vette. Hard floor in rear for heavy gear like scuba tanks.

Rear disks. Back seat should fold flat without going to an upgrade package, but I can live with that, my dog seems fine with it.

Saving gas
By Saving gas

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Traded one of our 8 cyl rucks for this vehicle. Couldn't be happier. Great SUV. Wanted the truck feel when we traded. Tried the car, but just couldn't do it when you were used to a truck.

Gas mileage in city average 21.8 not too bad

None to think of right now