Used 2008 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 221 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Bad Tranny Coolers in '08 Escapes
By b.bergman

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just had my Escape repaired yesterday for Bad Tranny Cooler from the dealer that I purchased it from. No questions asked, they fixed at no cost stating it was under warranty. No complains on this end.

Transmission condensor failure
By Randy Brandeberry

2008 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Leaking transmission fluid at 56,000 miles. Dealer found failure in transmission condensor. Internet search found many people having this failure with 08 Escape. Dealer says Ford will not cover this under powertrain warranty but the dealer will use Customer Loyalty Program to cut repair cost to $100. Typical American car manufactured, spend millions to advertise and tell us how good their product is and then find a way to weasle out of fully covering warranty work. Stay away from the 08 Escape. This is my 4th Ford vehicle but Toyota is looking very good at the moment.

Stand behind your vehicles. If a vehicle is well made and maintained it should easily go 100,000 miles with no major failures.

Good Vehicle w/ some issues
By Linda

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased my Escape new and loved it, I have had small problems with it. The tires are cupping on the inside. We rotate them when we take it in for service and Ford always tells us that we need new tires but never tells us what the cause is. Another company told us it was the suspension. I also know that the shocks or struts are having issues. When you go across a dip it has a bottom out feel. The vehicle has several rattles and the seats spot w/o any reason. The black moulding around the outside windows raises up when you raise the window up and down and it won't stay down once up.

I love the size of the vehicle, easy to see out of in all directions. The stereo is the best I have ever had in any vehicle and I have had 15-20. The mp3 plug in it is wonderful and it just adds to the great sound system when you play your mp3...it helps cover up the rattles.

Better upholstery material, better method of keeping moulding down, suspension, better insulation for noise.

Not all it's cracked up to be!
By dana

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

After trying to find the good in it, I have come up with nothing. I am a previous Toyota owner, and I feel very short-changed by the Escape. The inside is very cheap. The apolstery irritates my legs, shows every single water spot, and the foam is hard as a rock. Overall, the interior looks like a 6 year old designed it. When I am on the highway, the engine noise makes it sound like a semi-truck from the inside. Also, I know I have a 4 cylinder, but I can't do more than 20mph uphill, unless I gun it. Then at that point, the engine sounds like it is going to fall out. They should not even make a 4cyl. I do like its auxilary jack for my iPod

Aux. Jack Cargo space

Don't make a 4cyl Highway engine noise Seats - apolostery and foam Handles above doors Lights/storage b/t visors Poor high beams Windshield is always foggy no matter what.

Transmission Leak
By unhappyfordowner

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Took my 08 escape in today and was told the ac condenser was broke and that was why my transmission fluid was leaking. Have an 8 year warrenty on this car and ofcourse this problem is not cover because it is not part of the drive train. So now its costing me 500 dollars to fix it plus 40 to be told what the problem is. I am not happy at all with ford, if they know this is going on and not doing anything about it they are pretty much screwing us on purpose. I will keep my car but not sure I will buy another.

4x4 wheel drive mp3 hook up