Used 2006 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Rumbling Ride...
By L.D.Driver

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

There is one minor flaw in this vehicle that is such a major distraction to the driving experience that I have grown to hate the Escape completely. I drive up to 60,000 km(35,000 Mi) every year and the uneven tire wear that mysteriously happens with these vehicles leads to obscene levels of noise while driving. The dealership and other garages seem aware that the Escape has this issue but don't seem aware of how horrendous an issue this is for a high mileage driver. The only advise the dealer could offer was to rotate the tires every 5000km instead of 10,000. For me that would mean a tire rotation every 4 weeks which is just not feasible! NOTE- uneven wear is not a result of wheel alignment.

No favorite features... most features would just rate an "average" from me.

Fix whatever the problem is that causes uneven tire wear. Other vehicles i have owned such as Honda CRV did not have this problem.

very satisfired
By rwc

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wife has a rav4 and this suv is very comparable, v6 has plenty of power and gets decent gas mileage. I would purchase this vehicle again in a heart beat.

rugged look and handling

doors seem a little to light.....

Well....
By Luke W

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in june of 08. it was a great car for about 20 miles. then a wheel bearing went out and completly ruined my two front tires. the windows rattle, alot of random noises and the stereo is going bad for a third time. Its not a bad car but i would have never bought it if i woulda known. Lots of little issues. And it beeps wayyy to much. gets very annoying very fast.

Descent gas mileage

Well i suggest staring over. Buy a honda or a better brand, Ford is bankrupt

Saved My Bacon!
By rmaddox

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a used Escape just two months ago, so this won't have a lot of detail. However, it probably saved me from serious injury a few days ago. I was struck while legally crossing an intersection by a man who ran his red light. His Chevy Cavalier was totaled and he hit me on almost directly on my passenger wheel. My entire front has been shifted over and most likely will be totaled out by my insurance. However, from the dash back, it looks completely fine. I sustained a whiplash injury, but very little else. Had I been in my old car, a sporty small coupe, I believe I would have had many more injuries.

Safety! Liked the large amount of cargo room. Also appreciated being in a larger vehicle that still drove reasonably well.

Back window creaked when going over bumps. AWD has to have all tires replaced at the same time. (Good to know.) Road noise pronounced on hwy. Wished the AC functioned a little differently. Not sure about fuel economy. Cushion fabric stains BADLY! Ford needs to fix that.

EXCELLENT SUV
By Sean Sudduth

2006 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a dream come true. No problems at all. I just changed out the front disk brakes at 60,000 miles, although still they had plenty of miles left. I expect the Continetal tires to reach 75,000 miles. Engine runs like a champ. 5w20 synthetic all year round. Great acceleration on a 4 cyl. I think that ford could design a quite engine technology, that would be nice. The car gets awesome gas mileage, way above the EPA estimated 21 city / 26 hwy. Nice stereo system, Audiophile 300 w/ 10" sub in rear, all stock. I will purchase my next car from FORD Motor Company.

Gas Mileage, 21-22 in the City and 26- 33 MPG on the highway. I could not beleive this myself! I drove the speed limit, 55 mph full tank to empty check mpg and I got 33.42. I so badly wanted to round that up!

The back seating area is a little uncomfortable, it would be nicer if there was a arm rest and the seat backs could recline or adjust. I think there is more than anticipated engine noise, would be nice if ford would design a quite engine technology. THIS IS A GREAT SUV, KUDOS TO YOU FORD!