Used 2006 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Saved My Bacon!
By rmaddox

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a used Escape just two months ago, so this won't have a lot of detail. However, it probably saved me from serious injury a few days ago. I was struck while legally crossing an intersection by a man who ran his red light. His Chevy Cavalier was totaled and he hit me on almost directly on my passenger wheel. My entire front has been shifted over and most likely will be totaled out by my insurance. However, from the dash back, it looks completely fine. I sustained a whiplash injury, but very little else. Had I been in my old car, a sporty small coupe, I believe I would have had many more injuries.

Safety! Liked the large amount of cargo room. Also appreciated being in a larger vehicle that still drove reasonably well.

Back window creaked when going over bumps. AWD has to have all tires replaced at the same time. (Good to know.) Road noise pronounced on hwy. Wished the AC functioned a little differently. Not sure about fuel economy. Cushion fabric stains BADLY! Ford needs to fix that.

EXCELLENT SUV
By Sean Sudduth

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a dream come true. No problems at all. I just changed out the front disk brakes at 60,000 miles, although still they had plenty of miles left. I expect the Continetal tires to reach 75,000 miles. Engine runs like a champ. 5w20 synthetic all year round. Great acceleration on a 4 cyl. I think that ford could design a quite engine technology, that would be nice. The car gets awesome gas mileage, way above the EPA estimated 21 city / 26 hwy. Nice stereo system, Audiophile 300 w/ 10" sub in rear, all stock. I will purchase my next car from FORD Motor Company.

Gas Mileage, 21-22 in the City and 26- 33 MPG on the highway. I could not beleive this myself! I drove the speed limit, 55 mph full tank to empty check mpg and I got 33.42. I so badly wanted to round that up!

The back seating area is a little uncomfortable, it would be nicer if there was a arm rest and the seat backs could recline or adjust. I think there is more than anticipated engine noise, would be nice if ford would design a quite engine technology. THIS IS A GREAT SUV, KUDOS TO YOU FORD!

Not bad for an SUV
By Lows1961

2006 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this SUV in Feb of this year, of course we bought it used, we liked it for the looks, how it drove and the colour ( charcoal Grey). I was impressed with the pick-up it has and the handling on the road and in the weather conditions. This one came with all leather interior and the first and only owner before us went as far as ordering an all leather steering wheel, very nice. The sound system is awesome, it has the 6 cd changer and 6 speakers with a built-in amp, it came with all the bells and whistles. My only problem with this vehicle is it stinks on gas or it may be due to the small gas tank, at most I can get 450km per tank at the same time it only cost me to fill it up around 45.00

All leather interior Sound system Looks and design

Needs a bigger gas tank, gas tank on this SUV is way to small for the size Only holds from empty to full about 45 dollars and that is @ 85 cents a litre

garbage on wheels
By 4wdford

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Where to begin? 15 mpg is the best we can get, and that's driving nice. The v6 struggles all the time, and smells like burning oil when parked after a run. Within the past 2 weeks the ABS has failed, the 4WD light has come on, and it pulls to the right under acceleration. The transmission now clunks when shifting. The factory tires are junk and started humming loudly after 15 000 km. To top things off, there are weird clunking noises coming from the back and front end. All this after 45,000 km, not miles!

One day this SUV will be on a scrap heap where it belongs, that's the best feature.

The engine, the drivetrain, the whole darn thing!

Reliable and Fun to drive.
By Preston

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased vehicle used in Jan '07. Have put 40K miles on it and have had no problems. Change oil and filters regularly. Other than that - nothing. Brakes still like new - will get 75K or more on pads. Conti tires still have 40% tread left. I expect to get 65K on them. Vehicle is good in snow. Have driven through 2ft+ snow storms without a problem. No problems in rain storms either. Highway mileage is 24+mpg - not bad for an SUV. City mileage brings overall mileage down to 21.1mpg. Still not too bad. Long story short - good vehicle. Would probably buy another.

All wheel drive. Heating and ac system. Radio.

Better gas mileage .. of course.