Used 2006 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

A nice small SUV
By mjs

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used with 40k on the clock and have put 30k trouble free miles on it so far. Get 25 mpg in every day driving with the 4 cyl. I owned an '03 6 cyl and could only manage 19 mpg. Tires do not wear well and get very noisy. Rotate them often! Seat fabric is awful and stains easily. But it drives nice and is very versatile.

Light and nimble SUV with great gas mileage.

Tire wear and seat fabric.

What were they Thinking?
By Luke

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First off, this car was a mistake. Many problems, and they just reoccurred over and over again. Not worth the Money. It lost half its value since i bought it. let me start with the problems. 1. The radio has gone bad 3 times. 2. The windows make a horrible racket. 3. The Engine Dry starts. (had normal maintenance.)4. The transmissions are junk. After talking to my mechanic, he said that he has replaced a ton of them. they go bad very quickly, and the starting price for a rebuilt one if 3k. so now i have a money pit, sitting in another state, worth half what i owe, and i cannot even fix it. Great Idea Ford. I DO NOT recommend this vehicle unless u pay 5k or less for it.

The sound system when it worked sounded great, 6 disc changer, nice speakers also. Ride comfort is so-so. If you buy this car, make it a later model, i guess they tried to fix the tranny, but it still breaks, just not as often.

Fix the Radio, Transmission, Engine, Windows, Lower Ball joints and Bushings(Have to buy the whole lower control arm), And you would have a descent car. Gas mileage is about 20mpg, i've seen better.

I love my 2006 Ford Escape!
By jb376

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've really enjoyed it since buying it in 9/09. It's easy to drive, excellent visibility (don't need to sit on something to see where you're going), and has been pretty reliable. I also like that it has flat surfaces on the dash, on the console, and on the rear bumper, where I can set my coffee when I'm loading and unloading (along with a drink holder, of course)! That makes it very convenient. Also, I've noticed the fuel economy is a lot better when I use a higher octane gas. Overall, I really like my Escape!

Lots of flat surfaces to place my coffee! Smart thinking!

None that I can think of.

Serious Value, Hard to Beat
By Buy American

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new 7/06, 0% financing on $20K. Get 25mpg with the 4, sit up high for safety, park in compact spaces, room for all kinds of toys and junk. Have slept in it more than once. Dependable and faultless performance. No, it's not for towing big boats or taking turns at 50. I have had it over 100 in the desert and it holds steady. I have owned 50 cars and this is in the top 5. Used car buyers - ALWAYS check for body and frame damage, NEVER buy a car that has been wrecked, they WILL NOT run right ever again, trust me.

Moonroof, 6 CD, hidden storage, room for lots of stuff. Pleasurable but subdued driving experience.

Wiper controls cluttered because of rear wiper (never used), no good place to put smartphone, no dock for Ipod, transaxle whines/throbs at 77 mph, seat wobbles, no inside release for gas hatch,

Lovin' it
By GEB

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

At 88k miles I love my Sonic Blu Escape. It has been everything I had hoped. Whether going confidently through snowy Pennsylvania winters, or carrying a canoe to a lake, or toting our college student's stuff, or hauling yard/tree trimmings, it has done it all comfortably.

The AWD is remarkable. You don't know it is working, but you know with confidence that you can easily go through foot deep snow without any problem. Starting uphill on a slippery slope occurs smoothly without any spinning as though it were a dry hill.

I added a soft pad for the door arm rest soon after owning it. Other than that, it has not been lacking in any way.